Need information on the 'THREE COLORS TRILOGY'.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Inspector Hammer!, Jun 28, 2002.

1. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    I was talking with a friend the other day about films, and she mentioned these three films that she really likes, and she described them to me as being called 'Red', 'White', and 'Blue'. At the time, I didn't know which films she meant, but the more I thought about it the more I thought that she must mean the 'Three Colors Trilogy' that i've seen talked about here from time to time. I havn't seen these films so I know nothing about them.

What are these films about, and who stars in them? It would also be helpful if I knew what studio produced them. I just want to make sure I have the right series of films. I tried performing a search, but it yielded no results.

Thanks.

2. Pascal A

Pascal A Second Unit

The director is Krzysztof Kieslowski, a Polish filmmaker who made his final films in France. He created the trilogy (Trois Coleurs) from the symbolic colors of the French flag: Blue for Liberty, White for Equality, Red for Fraternity.
    Blue is a drama with Juliette Binoche and deals with a wife and mother who is faced with an unexpected "liberation" from her home and identity after the unexpected loss of her husband and daughter.
    White is a dark comedy with Julie Delpy and Zbigniew Zamachowshi, and deals with a Polish immigrant man's attempts to get even with his Parisian wife after she humiliates him. It is also a reflection of the changing landscape of an increasingly materialistic, post-Communist Poland.
    Red is another drama with Irene Jacob and Jean Louis Trintignant (best known from A Man and a Woman) and explores issues of chance, coincidence, and synchronicity when a young woman finds an unlikely soulmate in a cynical, retired judge.

3. Inspector Hammer!

John Williamson
    That's it. Thanks Pascal. [​IMG]
    Now, any idea of when they might come to dvd? She'd like to have them, and I wouldn't mind seeing them, they sound very interesting.

4. Jeff Gross

Jeff Gross Second Unit

If you get Starz Cinema, these films will be on in July.
    Blue
    Jul 14 - 8:00PM
    Jul 18 - 12:15AM
    Jul 23 - 12:50AM
    Jul 26 - 11:40PM
    Red
    Jul 5 - 12:40AM
    Jul 14 - 11:15PM
    Jul 29 - 9:45PM
    White
    Jul 14 - 9:40PM
    Jul 24 - 10:00PM
    Unfortunately, they will be Full Frame [​IMG]

5. Mark Pfeiffer

Mark Pfeiffer Screenwriter

There have been rumors for about a year that DVDs of these are in the works, but nothing has ever been announced. Maybe 4th quarter this year? Miramax owns the rights.

6. Inspector Hammer!

John Williamson
    Jeff,
    thanks, but i'll hold out for the discs, I don't want to ruin the experience for myself by watching that full-frame abomination. [​IMG] Plus, I don't get STARZ.
    Mark,
    thanks for the info, let's hope that the 4th quarter time frame comes to fruition.
    Just out of curiosity, what are the OAR's for these films? 2.35:1, 1.85:1...?

7. Pascal A

Pascal A Second Unit

FYI - the Artificial Eye Region 2 DVDs from the UK are great: anamorphic, optional subs, OAR (1.85), with extras like interviews with the actresses, behind-the-scenes featurettes, soundtrack.
    Here are the Blackstar links that lists some of the extra goodies on the discs:
    Blue
    White
    Red

8. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

I saw Red on VHS a couple of years ago. That movie was simply breathtaking. I have been waiting for a DVD release ever since. I have a feeling when I watch it again it will be propelled into my top 5.
    The cinematography at the judge house (epecially the play with the sun at some point) is absolutely incredible.
    --
    Holadem

9. MichaelAW

MichaelAW Second Unit

Best. Films. Ever.

Some people are Lucas fanboys. Others are Peter Jackson fanboys.

Me? I'm a Kieslowski fanboy.

10. Chris Lock

Chris Lock Second Unit

So it sounds like these movies aren't related to each other in terms of story or character, eh?

11. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

I thought the films were connected by happenstance, but I may be thinking of other films... where events from another film might be overheard, walked by, or seen by the characters in the ongoing film. Wrong?

12. ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson Cinematographer

The films are connected. Besides the whole theme (Blue for Liberty, White for Equality, Red for Fraternity) there is a scene at the end of the Red brings all three movies together.

13. Brook K

Brook K Lead Actor

And John is also correct, characters and events weave through the 3 movies, where they might appear at odd places or a certain event might be shown from a different perspective or in the background of another scene.
    Kieslowski also does this in his even more brilliant, The Decalogue, which is on DVD and highly recommended.

14. Chris Lock

Chris Lock Second Unit

What's the best order to watch these in, then, or does it matter? Do they take place during the same timeframe?

15. MichaelAW

MichaelAW Second Unit

Watch them in the order they were released: Blue, White, and then Red. It really doesn't matter, but if you see Red before Blue or White, the payoff at the end won't be as effective.

16. Pascal A

Pascal A Second Unit

There is also that elderly woman who keeps trying to deposit bottles into the recycling bin in all of the episodes (supposedly a tongue in cheek reference to the idea of 'cycles'). Kieslowski liked to insert these omniscient peripheral characters (like the blonde man in Decalogue or the old woman in The Double Life of Veronique) to show the interconnectedness of life.

17. ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson Cinematographer

I NEED to see these again. This trilogy may have been the last VHS tapes I rented about 3 years ago. I do hope they show up on a nice Region 1 set soon.

18. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

Let me give the Three Colors Trilogy a hearty recommendation. Filmmaking at its finest.