What's new

Need info to build a sub that rivals an SVS , Servo15 comparible or better. (1 Viewer)

Okay I'll shoot straight with you guys. My keeper, er wife, has no understanding of the cost of decent HT audio. She would flip if I payed over $1000 for a sub. Heck, she would flip if I payed over $500. I would love a Servo 15 or one of the SVS series but it's just not going to happen.

I have the carpentry/mechanical skills and tools to build from scratch. All I need is the list of hardware suggestions and template for the box. I have read that if you know what you are doing, you can build a speaker/sub for easily 1/3 of the cost of a manufactured one. I hope this is true because its the only shot I have. Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks in advance for any help.

Please ignore spelling in the subject, the edit feature won't let me fix it.

Rob:b

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
Try http://www.adireaudio.com
They have application papers that include very detailed plans for ported and sealed boxes for the Shiva and Tempest. Also you'll find that their tech support is terrific

Mike_A

Stunt Coordinator
check out the sonosub links page listed at the top of the main DIY forum page here at HTF. lots of good info on building a sonosub, which is probably the easiest and maybe the cheapest way to get this done. there are some other good links on that page even if you don't want to do a sonosub.

you can definitely rival SVS with a DIY unit - it's really not much more than a very well constructed sonosub.

The servo15 is sort of different because it's a servo controlled unit. You'll definitely be able to beat it in terms of output, but maybe not in terms of sound quality (this is certainly debatable and I'm sure some will disagree with me)

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Robert,

Also let us know if you have any size restrictions and whether you'd prefer a 12" driver or 15" driver based sub. Obviously, any size restrictions will probably determine whether you can actually go with the larger driver or not.

Brian

Martice

Screenwriter
If size is not a problem I would suggest you go with a Tempest if you go the Adire route. Nice driver and excellent performance especially for the price.

As far as size goes, the smaller the better because of the wife factor. However, if I had the money I would buy an SVS Ultra in a heartbeat and just deal with the initial rant I will inevitably get from her :) I guess my max size would be about a 36-40 in tall tube or a 20" x 18" x 21" box, giver or take (this is the size of the Servo-15 so I use it as an example). A box design would be preferred but sound is most important. Suffice it to say I am fairly open to size just as long as I dont have a 6' monolith tube in my living room.
I'll be honest, I'm just a craftsman-type person with a critical ear for sound but I'm a total neophite when it comes to the technical end of audio. What I am trying to do is pick some the most highly reviewed subs that run from $900 on up and build one for considerably less. For example, an SVS Ultra w/o amp currently runs for $959 plus shipping. Surely I could buy a driver that rivals theirs for less than half of that and construction materials are cheap. Where do I buy it?
The general consensus in the threads I've read push the Shiva or Tempest. They look great but has anyone actually compared them to an SVS, Servo, etc. in a side-by-side review? Are there any other drivers better that the Shiva/Tempest that I should consider or are they actually that good?

Michael Do

Agent
Are there any other drivers better that the Shiva/Tempest that I should consider or are they actually that good?
Have you take a look at some of the sub from Stryke? http://stryke.com/SAL-PB15.html sub along with a pair of Stryke passive radiator in a 4cf enclosure would look really nice but it might blow your budget. Might wanna talk to John from Stryke for some advice.

Martice

Screenwriter
Price/performance wise the Shiva/Tempest are hard to beat and to my knowledge, the only other comparable product that is as well documented are the products from Dayton Loudspeaker and their Dual Voice Coil models(known for short as the DVC 12 or DVC 15)models on sale at Parts Express. I have a DVC 12" in a 75L enclosure and a Tempest in a 214L enclosure and I can say that either way you go, you won't be dissapointed.
If you have construction questions and want to buy the parts, I suggest that you go to Link Removed and speak to Kyle. He not only sells excellent subs but he'll provide you with the parts necessary (from Adire Audio as well as Parts Express and usually cheaper than going directly to the manufacture)to build your own sub and is a wealth of information to boot.
If you'd like to learn more about the Dayton products as well go HERE and do a search on the DVC 12 or DVC 15 and you'll learn tons. Last but not least, here is a good page that shows some of the many faithful followers of the Dayton drivers and their products.
Go here to view subs
My favorite one is by Jack Gilvey. His high gloss black design is absolutely wonderful.
Here's Parts Express's main web page.
Parts Express
Have you ever heard the SVS or the Servo 15 Rob?

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Are there any other drivers better that the Shiva/Tempest that I should consider or are they actually that good?
Someone mentioned the DVC series from PE. The drivers at Stryke are very good. The SV models at Subwoofers.com are good and on sale right now. Link Removed has a bunch of good drivers. The 1201 is very similar to SV's original driver (not the new upgraded model). The 03 line is great but requires a big amp and some EQ.
-Robert

Kerry Hackney

Stunt Coordinator
Robert,

I live reasonably close to you in East Tennessee. If you want to hear some of these first, you're welcome to come over and audition my subs. I have a Tempest that I built as well as a Dharman from Adire that uses the Shiva driver.

Drop me an email if your interested.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
Lotsa good advice here.
In my estimation, a Tempest in about 10ft^3, which would be a 24" wide x ~40" tall tube, with a 6" wide port tuned to 18Hz should have no problem achieving the goal in your subject line. Probably wouldn't need much more power than one of the $125 250 watt plate amps on sale from PE right now. Much easier to make the jump to a larger driver in a bigger cab than to try and "clone" a commercial design...aim higher. ;) Is that size do-able?
Martice, you're much too kind. :b

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Robert D, the sub that Jack described is basically my Sunosub II (look for the link in my signature below. It's a total How-to photo essay on the process.

Rich Kraus

Stunt Coordinator
so robert, do you have an attic, basement, or large attic handy?

need easy build, high stealth, and high sound quality?

maby you need to do an IB sub, and leave the box/tube behind all together.

My thanks to all of you for all of this helpful information! When I posted this I really had no interest in DIY from a hobby aspect, I just wanted a good sub for cheap. The more I look into it, the more interesting DIY is becoming and I think I'm becoming hooked. In fact, the only other thing I needed to round out my HT system were surrounds and I've decided to build those as well!

Have you ever heard the SVS or the Servo 15 Rob?
The local HT shop here sells the Servo 15 so I've auditioned it extensively. It was on my wish list for a long time until I heard about the SVS. I have not heard the SVS but with the shear number of extremely positive posts I figured I would be happy with it. I just used these two as an example to try explain the quality I was trying to achieve. Oh, and your definately right Martice, the pics of that sub that Jack Gilvey built are awesome! Jack, if you have pics of any other speakers you've done I'd love to see them.

Robert_J, that Audiomobile MASS 2012 S4 looks intense and I'm very interested. I have emailed the company for more info than they provide on the site. I might try something like that on my second sub when I put put in a projection HT in the basement and go all out next year. I will do some searches to find the thread about that guy that used one as a sub. Thanks!

Kerry Hackney, where exactly do you live in NE Tennessee? I might take you up on that if decide on the Tempest. What kind of enclosure did you use by the way?

Patrick Sun, if I go with a sonotube you step by step pics and will be invaluable. Many thanks.

Robert Derouen

Great Rich, I'm pulling my hair our over decisions and you give me yet another option :). If this would work it would be great because my wife would not have a sub to see at all. I have both attic and basement but I would have to use the attic if I went that route. I've heard about setups like that but never looked into it because of my ceiling height. The room dimensions are approx 18x30 with a 19' tall ceiling. I always figured that since the room is already 'accoustically impaired' with echo, that anything ceiling mounted would only add to the problem. I have no basis for this assumption, it was just a gut feeling. I know base carries but am unsure how it would sound in this wierd-shaped room.
What do you think? To me it would sound better if the sub was on the floor firing directly towards it but again, I have no basis for that hunch and opinions are what I'm here for.
Rob

Michael R Price

Screenwriter
BTW, the $150 Tempest has a little more displacement than the $330 Audiomobile and will go a bit deeper. But you'd need a significantly bigger box (7-12 ft^3). Or you could try to spend a lot on a serious 12" driver like the BPD1203 or the Mass 12.

You have to trade off output, depth, or size. In other words you're going to have to decide what your largest possible box can be, what depth and output you want, and how much money you have so you can decide what tradeoffs to make.

I'd say the Servo 15 is probably near the output of a Shiva or other mid-high-end 12" DIY sub. Quality, I don't know exactly what the servo does to the sound. But I'm sure DIY can sound almost as good or better than the Servo-15.

The SVS CS-Ultra uses a driver similar to the Mass 12 and a Tempest in a larger box should slightly outperform it. (And cost less than half as much.) Size is the limiting factor in most any sub.

My friend is building a Tempest based box subwoofer which is 24x26x28 inches. That's about 7 ft^3. I wouldn't go any smaller than that with a Tempest. But there are other drivers which can work in a smaller space.

Also consider an IB (mounting your sub into the wall using another large space like a room as the box). This gives you extremely good sound quality and no unsightly box in your room. An option to consider.

Good luck with your project.

Tyson

Stunt Coordinator
If you don't mind getting a powerfull amp and a BFD, you can get pretty darn good performance from a BPD 1503 in a fairly small box. You could build something like the Arial clone that ThomasW made. Check Link Removed - simply substitute the BPD 1503 for the Stryke to save yourself some $$.
But, if you can do an infinite baffle sub, that is the way to go - IB subs are pretty amazing sounding.

Martice

Screenwriter
I haven't made my own sub as of yet. However, if you for some reason or another change your mind about making your own sub, I would definitely call Kyle at Acoustic Visions because next to making your own, I don't think many people can provide the service and quality at the price point you're talking except maybe the HSU VTF sub or the SVS 2531cs with a Parts Express plate amp. However, I do have a 75L Link Removed that I bought for under $500.00 including the $250.00 amp that is quite the performer but I doubt it performs on the same level as the SVS Ultra.

Rich Kraus

Stunt Coordinator
robert, is the celing "flat" or does it rise up at an an angle(s) to get to 19'?
my room has a kind of funny shape also but on a smaller scale 15X17 with a celing that angles up from 8' to about 14' at the front of the room.
if you havent already, check out the "cult" page below for more IB info. theres a good faq, and plenty of archived information from folks figuring out if an IB is possible for them.
http://f20.parsimony.net/forum36475/index.htm
given all the available choices, i would do the IB again.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
Robert, by my calcs you're trying to fill over 10,000 cu.ft., is that accurate? That'll call for one hell of a sub.

When I posted this I really had no interest in DIY from a hobby aspect, I just wanted a good sub for cheap. The more I look into it, the more interesting DIY is becoming and I think I'm becoming hooked.
That's good to hear, the most successful projects result from putting your heart into it. I've found that merely saving money is probably the worst reason to get involved in this area, although it can indeed accomplish that.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks