Need info about CT

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by SethH, Apr 26, 2005.

1. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

Hey there,

I have just been offered an internship this summer in Enfield, CT. I plan to accept the position and will be moving there in the next few weeks.

So here's where things get fun. I don't know anyone in CT. I've never been there and don't know much about the area. So here are some questions I've thought of:

1. I need a short-term lease, preferably with a furnished apartment (1 or 2BR). I'd like to be in as nice an area as possible without it being too expensive. Does anyone have suggestions for apartment complexes or websites where I could begin my search? Even general parts of town would be helpful.

2. How bad would a daily commute between Hartford and Enfield be? MapQuest puts it at about 20 miles, but is traffic difficult during rush hour?

3. My soon-to-be wife will be looking for an accounting internship. If you have any suggestions for places (CPA firms, etc) that might be hiring please PM me or post it.

4. What is a reasonable price to expect for the type of apartment I'm asking about in my first question?

I'm sure I'll have more questions as this sinks in. But I'm really just looking for any info I can get on the area.

Thanks.

2. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

Seth, I live about 15 minutes from Enfield in Vernon, CT.

1) Couldn't begin to tell you as I own my own house. I would probably just put in a google search for "apartments in CT." Is there an Apartments.com? I think there is.

2) The commute won't be bad at all. Even though I don't come into Hartford via 91 South (I make my commute on 84 West), I can see the traffic from the founders bridge on my way into the city and it's never all that much to be honest. CT has traffic, but compared to most cities it's nothing. I would say from Enfield to downtown, door to door might be 30-35 minutes, maybe as much as 45 on a bad day, but 91 North and South are never all that bad. It's 84 East and West you need to worry about, which you won't have to deal with.

3) Again, I don't have much in the way to help you in regards to accounting positions. Try www.ctnow.com for listings as well as the typicals, www.careerbuilder.com and www.monster.com for listings.

4) a one bedroom in Enfield or the vicinity will run you about $700/month. A two bedroom might run you a bit more, say $900 or so.

If you want info on the area, try the www.courant.com for local news. www.ctnow.com for entertainment. www.hartfordadvocate.com for nightlife, entertainment, and the social scene in general. The current issue of the Hartford Advocate has the "best of" issue. Best places to eat, best places to get a car stereo, best places to see strippers, best places to watch a movie..you get the picture. Hope that helps.

I'm sure Holadem will chime in and if you want to hang out when you get here, just drop us a PM.

3. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

2. Half an hour or so. You would be going against traffic (from the city to the burbs), much like I do. You would travel the same way as me, but get off futher down I91 North in the mornings.

Everything is pretty well covered above.

--
    H

4. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

Are either of you guys familiar with the Bushnell in the Park apartment housing on the north side of Hartford? They're one of the few places that offer short-term leases and furnished apartments, but I'd love to know if it's in a good part of town or if you guys have known anyone who lived there. Also, if you have other recommendations I'd love to hear them.

Thanks.

5. Phil_L

Phil_L Second Unit

Hey Seth,
    If you're willing to live a few minutes (about 10 miles)outside Hartford, I live in a place that has short term furnished apartments. It's called the Pavilions and it is in Manchester. Right off 84 and 291 (which leads towards Enfield) and near lots of shopping. I am moving out next month but have enjoyed it here. Also has very easy access to Enfield, possibly shorter travel time than from Hartford.

The Bushnell area is OK, but there isn't much to do around there. My office is right down the street, and nobody sticks around the area after work. Try Manchester or West Hartford (more expensive but with tons to do).

6. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

Thanks for the info. I've actually talked to someone at the Pavilions, but they're pretty expensive. They tack on an extra charge for the 3-month lease (because it's so short) so it comes out to $2000/month for a furnished place which is out of the price range.

7. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

Bushnell on the Park is right downtown. You would be living at walking distance from bars, clubs, park (lots of stuff in the summer, jazz festivals and the like), museum etc.. So as far as "stuff to do", it's hard to think of a better location!

--
    H

8. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

I agree with Holadem....Bushnell on the park is really close to everything and it's in a fine part of town...I don't think you can go wrong if you are going to be working in the city. Your only issue is going to be if you have a car because a) I am not sure if that complex offers parking (I assume they do) and b) you are going to need a car because there isn't a single grocery store in downtown Hartford.

9. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

Yeah, I'll have a car and they do offer parking. I'll actually be commuting to Enfield everyday, but the commute shouldn't be bad because as Holadem mentioned earlier, I'll be going against all the traffic. Unfortunately, Enfield has very few apartment complexes and few, if any, offer short-term furnished apartments. There are a few complexes in Manchester and Vernon that have decent offerings, but they're more expensive, so we'll probably end up at Bushnell.

10. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

One more question:

I've got a leak in my car (water in trunk everytime it rains) that I'll need to get fixed when I get up in the Hartford area. Could any of you guys recommend a place that specializes in finding and fixing leaks or at least a good, honest mechanic?

Thanks.

11. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

No mechanic I would recommend, sorry. I don't know enough about cars to tell whether or not someone does a good job.

--
    H

12. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

3.) Considering you won't be near the shore, definitely have her stake out the Hartford area. CT may have its backwards towns, but Hartford is one of the major "business" districts in the state. Yeah, the Manchester area is a bit pricey. The area around the Buckland Hills mall used to be very pricey. Things have changed a bit, but it's still up there in that area.

13. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

Hey guys,

I am actually up here in Hartford now. My wife and I have visited the Crowne theater and it was pretty nice. We're thinking about going to see Charlie & The Chocolate Factory at the IMAX theater in Manchester. Have you guys been to that theater? If so, is it worth going to, and how much did it cost?

14. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

I never knew there was an IMAX theater at Buckland Hills?! Holy cow, I have only been there like a million times...

Not a big fan of that theater, it's nice and clean but screen sizes are average at best and bass is anemic.

Crown Plaza is much better, it's not as purdy, but much more functional. Screens are curved (which I prefer), it's got DLP, the sound is thunderous especially in the THX certified auditoriums 7 & 8, even seats are large and comfy with "removeable" armrests. Plus it's 5 minutes from me [​IMG].

Did you actually see a movie at the Crowne Plaza? You said you "visited", not sure what that means.

Where did you end up staying? Feel free to PM if you wish for privacy.

--
    H

15. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

Holadem, the IMAX theater is in with the movie theater (i.e. it's not a separate building). I've only been once so I forget the name of the theater. It's the one that's up the street from the Mall. Is that the Crowne or is the Crowne the one that's off the highway?

I saw the 3D version of The Polar Express there and it was pretty great. This was my first IMAX movie that was like a movie theater screen (i.e. I usually see the large 'squarish' ones), so I can't say how it compares to others I've been to.

16. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

I'm living at Bushnell on the Park. It's a pretty nice place . . . albeit a little pricey. We went and saw Cinderella Man at Crown. It wasn't in a THX certified or the DLP room, but it was still pretty good . . . and I thought the movie was great.

I think Mark is referring to the really big screen at Crown which I don't think is "technically" an IMAX.

I have never been to Buckland Hills, but I saw that Charlie and The Chocolate Factory is coming out in IMAX and googled for local IMAX theaters and Buckland Hills came up. My wife and I will probably go see Charlie and The Chocolate Factory at the IMAX just to see what it's like.