Need ideas/opinions, $2000 HT budget

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Nick Breckon, Jan 17, 2004.

1. Nick Breckon

Nick Breckon Stunt Coordinator

Hey guys, I'm new here, but I already really appreciate the help that random posts have given me. Particularly in pointing me towards SVS subs and Paradigm speakers. I've got a $2000 budget to match my new 57" Sony with a worthy HT setup, but I need some opinions. My room is about 26'x14', has an opening near the top of one side to the kitchen (to watch TV while cooking I suppose), and an opening at the back to the back of the kitchen, both of them large. Did I mention the large rock fireplace across from the kitchen opening? In other words, it's a pretty spacy room, and not at all easy for speaker setup. I want this mainly for HT, but also for music occasionally.

My question is, for this budget and this awful room, what is the best way to go? I was thinking of an SVS PCi25-31 for the sub, Paradigm Studio 20's for the fronts, a CC-470 for the center and a couple ADP-470's for the rears. This puts me over my budget of course, especially considering I need a new receiver, but I'm willing to spend an extra dollar or two to make sure the investment is worth it. I've read good things about Monitor 7's, but do I need that much bass if I have the PCi25-31? I love big bass, but would the money just be better spent on the more accurate, rich 20's instead?

Any suggestions welcome, Paradigm or no. I've heard Klipsch speakers, and they sound pretty good to me, but I trust you guys, and if you say Paradigm is for real, I'll go in that direction. Thanks for any help.

2. Jesse Sharrow

Jesse Sharrow Supporting Actor

First of all definitly go listen to any speakers you can. I am a very firm believer in d-code open box merchandise when on a budget. I found a pair of boston VR-950 towers, retail $700 pr, i got em for $160.

3. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

I think you are on the right track. Paradigms are good but in the end its a personal choice of what you like. Me myself I like the 40's in the Studio line the best of all their speakers but those would put you further over the budget. I personally wouldn't get the Monitor 7's. If anything and you like the Paradigm sound, then you could take the 20's and make them rears or rear centers when and if you decide to buy the 40's, 60's or even the 100's.

Other ways you could go are:

Polk
    Energy
    Boston Acoustics
    Kef
    Klipsch
    B&W
    Phase Tech

Just go out and listen. Make sure you listen for an extended period of time to determine if the speakers are too fatiguing to your ears or not. IF they are and you did purchase them w/o knowing you will run into an issue where you will actually want to turn your system off and stop. Just take your favorite music and start you auditioning.

4. TommyL

TommyL Supporting Actor

Nick, check your PM's..I have a perfect set of Paradigm studios to sell off[​IMG] *damn upgrading is gonna kill me someday[​IMG] *