What's new

Need ideas on HT speaker placement... (1 Viewer)

David Flora

Stunt Coordinator
Hello. I am starting to finish my basement this week. I have one section of the basement to use as my home theater, but part of the back of this section will be open to the rest of the basement, which will only allow me enough wall space to wire and hang all of my Polk speakers (FXI A6 main surrounds, FXI5 back surrounds) but my back surround right channel as this will be where the open space is. Not really sure what I can do to get that speaker incorporated into the whole 7.1 system. Hopefully I explained this in good enough detail. Any suggestions?

Rakie

Agent
Real Name
Tim
Hello David.

I am very new here but I would suggest you give us room dimensions and give us info on what you've already done.

David Flora

Stunt Coordinator
Well the room itself is approx. 20'L X 16'W. At the back of the room there will be a wall that extends from the left only about 7 feet of the width and then will be open. On the right side of this space the wall will only extend about 11 of the 20 feet in length before being open to the rest of the basement. So basicall the room is open on the back right half. So I can place my main surrounds facing each other on the side walls about 10 feet from the front, and my back left surround can fit on the back wall, but what can I do with my back right surround since there is no close wall to mount it on? Hope that helps and isn't too confusing.

Kevin Stewart

Second Unit
Real Name
Kevin Stewart

Where will the seating be? Unless you're seating will be closer than 10', that's not really a good spot for that side speaker either. The sides should be slightly behind the seats.

With an opening like that, you only have a few options:

1. Hang the speakers from the ceiling.
2. Construct columns to mount them to (or put them inside of). If doing this, I would construct matching columns on the other walls too.
3. Use in ceiling speakers. If you do this, you'll want to use in ceiling speakers for all of the surrounds (all 4)
4. Use speaker stands.
5. Build a halfwall that extends each of the current walls another 5' or so and place the speakers on top of this half wall.

If you have the ability to build a half wall (or know someone that can), this is the option that I'd take. Assuming you don't want to just construct full walls, which would be even better. With the half walls, you'd lose a lot of the sound quality of a dedicated space, but you'd still have it open (which seems to be what you want), it would provide a better back wall to place seating against, it creates a railing for people outside of the theater, gives you a place to place speakers, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zoobird
Recent bookmarks