need ideas on hooking VCR ti system

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Andrew Pezzo, Jun 11, 2004.

1. Andrew Pezzo

Andrew Pezzo Second Unit

It seems I have really confused myself on hooking up a VCR to an audio system. For starters, here is the equipment:

TV: Mits 48413 (48" RPTV)
    VCR: Sony starndard VCR
    Pre/Pro: Rotel RSP-1068
    Cable Box: Supplied by Comcast, HD capable

Whats confusing me is the fact that my Mits has a Loop Out and a second input for f-video. I currently have all video running through the 1068 (and I want to leave that way - I prefer only one video connection to TV) and want to use the record out function.

My goal is be able to record the TV signal. I had it connected in the past with no problems but that was before I got the Mits (which is being delivered tomorrow). Normally I would just run the f-video cable from wall outlet to cable bax to vcr to tv. I would still connect the cable box to 1068 with component video and coaxial for digital audio. The problem is when I did this with my sharp 36 inch tv would get static if the cable box was off. I expected it to work just like a VCR would, it wouldnt have to be on for the TV to still get a signal. Like I said, this connection is just to be able to record TV.

this post may seem vague, wish I could put it into words better. What are some options?

Thanks

2. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

Here's how I handle this (although I have a DVD recorder instead of a VCR, but the concept is the same):

1. Split the incoming RG6 cable signal with a 3-1 splitter.
    2. Run one RG6 from the splitter to the antenna input on the TV, one to the cable box, and one to the DVD recorder.
    3. Run the appropriate component, s-video and audio cables from the audio/video components to the receiver (pre/pro, in your case)
    4. Run the appropriate video/audio cables from the TV to the receiver (pre/pro)

The only thing I cannot do with the above configuration is record from the cable box. However, I do not care about this, since I only use it for HDTV viewing anyway (the standard digital cable channels are of no interest to me), and I have no ability to record HD. If you need to record channels only available via your cable box and your VCR has composite or s-video inputs, you could always loop those and the audio in to the record-out on your pre-pro for that situation.

This configuration eliminates the need to synch up the channels on the cable box when trying to record on the DVD recorder. I just use the tuner in the DVD recorder.

3. Andrew Pezzo

Andrew Pezzo Second Unit

Thanks.