1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

Need ideas for project

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Fred_Morales, Jan 7, 2004.

1. Fred_Morales

Fred_Morales Auditioning

I am an electrical engineering student in the last year of my program, and one of my classes is a design project class where I have to propose an idea and build it. I'm hoping to do something audio related.

Do any of you have any original ideas for a product that is related to electrical engineering? I kind of want to stay away from the standard DIY projects like sono-tube subwoofers, etc. Is there something you would like to see that doesn't currently exist right now? Maybe a process that could be automated? I was at one point thinking of an automatic speaker calibrator, but I don't think one can be done that would work in general for all HT receivers, but rather be specific to the one I would use in the design.

Thanks.

2. george king

george king Supporting Actor

fred,

well this already exists, but they are not cheap. How about a DVI switcher?

Hope this helps.

3. Bob Kavanaugh

Bob Kavanaugh Second Unit

How about a wireless video transmitter/receiver for projectors and such.

4. Jeff Hoak

Jeff Hoak Stunt Coordinator

I need a tube phono preamp that will be switchable between moving magnet or moving coil AND a headphone amp all in a single chassis. Remote controld of the headphone level would be nice too.

Outboard power supply is pretty much a must

Oh... It also has to look nice and fit in a ~6" high space.

Oh yea... almost forgot... 2 headphone outputs, each with its own voulme control. The phono section needs to have a BUNCH of adjustment for gain, impedence, etc.

5. Allen Ross

Allen Ross Supporting Actor

not HT related but do a coil gun, i saw the presentation of an EE who did it. he shot a nail and got it to go about 55m/s pretty bitching IMO.

The design was rather simple, but there was some pretty complicated logic, inducing a huge voltage on the coils then dissipating it quickly. I have to say it was one of the better EE presentations I have seen.

you could always build an Amp.