Need ideas for project

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Fred_Morales, Jan 7, 2004.

1. Fred_Morales

Fred_Morales Auditioning

I am an electrical engineering student in the last year of my program, and one of my classes is a design project class where I have to propose an idea and build it. I'm hoping to do something audio related.

Do any of you have any original ideas for a product that is related to electrical engineering? I kind of want to stay away from the standard DIY projects like sono-tube subwoofers, etc. Is there something you would like to see that doesn't currently exist right now? Maybe a process that could be automated? I was at one point thinking of an automatic speaker calibrator, but I don't think one can be done that would work in general for all HT receivers, but rather be specific to the one I would use in the design.

Thanks.

2. george king

george king Supporting Actor

fred,

well this already exists, but they are not cheap. How about a DVI switcher?

Hope this helps.

3. Bob Kavanaugh

Bob Kavanaugh Second Unit

How about a wireless video transmitter/receiver for projectors and such.

4. Jeff Hoak

Jeff Hoak Stunt Coordinator

I need a tube phono preamp that will be switchable between moving magnet or moving coil AND a headphone amp all in a single chassis. Remote controld of the headphone level would be nice too.

Outboard power supply is pretty much a must

Oh... It also has to look nice and fit in a ~6" high space.

Oh yea... almost forgot... 2 headphone outputs, each with its own voulme control. The phono section needs to have a BUNCH of adjustment for gain, impedence, etc.

5. Allen Ross

Allen Ross Supporting Actor

not HT related but do a coil gun, i saw the presentation of an EE who did it. he shot a nail and got it to go about 55m/s pretty bitching IMO.

The design was rather simple, but there was some pretty complicated logic, inducing a huge voltage on the coils then dissipating it quickly. I have to say it was one of the better EE presentations I have seen.

you could always build an Amp.