Need ideas for child-safe speaker stands

Bob Bartlett

Stunt Coordinator
Reaction score
I'm not sure what putty stuff you are referring to, but I buy the yellow poster putty from walmart and it is really strong. No way a child can take the speaker of the stand. I'm a powerlifting and I can hardly pull it off the stand. Seems alot easier than messing with inserts.

Joe Meissner

Stunt Coordinator
Reaction score
Those are actually part of my speakers. They are Design Acoustic ps-10's that use a down firing 10 woofer. Bought them 10 years ago and haven't found anything i like as much for under $1200 bucks.

So you don't think my stands would look good if i wrap the pvc in veneer to make it look like a large oak dowel rod? Maybe ill just go all black?

TedS

Agent
Reaction score
Dennis & Bob: It certainly seems that bolting the speakers to the stands would be a sure thing. I'm just not excited about messing with bolts in the cabinets. So since the putty is so cheap and simple, I think I'll give that a shot first. I'm hopeful that it will work. But if it doesn't seem stable enough, I'll probably go ahead with the bolting plan, using Brian B.'s suggestions for threaded inserts and rubber washers.

Dan: What would be involved in converting an MBOW1 into a floorstander? This is my first speaker project, so I'm a little hesitant to deviate from the kit plans too much.

I like the idea of the watergun, but I wouldn't want to get my speakers wet (lest there be any doubt, I'm just kidding).

Joe: Actually I hadn't thought of that. Most of the stands I've seen paint the pvc black and either paint or veneer (or stain real wood) for the bases. I just assumed that's what you meant. But now that I think about it, your idea might look pretty good, too.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
John_Weber