What's new

Need ideas for an a/v receiver for 1/2 music and 1/2 movies in $1000.00 range (1 Viewer)

Mike Strassburg

Second Unit
Another vote for the 3802. Has all the HT functions I need and sounds great in 2 channel or 7 channel music.

Not sure about being "weak", might depend upon the speakers you're driving. Drives my Klipsch Legends loud enough to be heard 3-4 houses away....

read my review at the bottom of my thread, its a couple things now and it's called Integra 7.1 vs Denon 3802. I had a Yamaha 5460 before and I had the Denon 3802, Integra 7.1 and Marantz 7200 in my house today auditioning them. Obviously I was getting rid of the yamaha, too bright and thin, the marantz was barely better than that and the denon and integra blew them both out of the water. I liked how the Integra looked and teh menu I liked better, thats why I went with the Integra. The denon is an excelet reciever though.

J

John Morris

Hmmm, Sherwood Newcastle R-963. That's the end of my story unless you are also considering the Denon 5802 or the top of the line Integra unit. In that case, spending $1200 is a heck of alot less than more than $2K? Or, what am I missing???

Ya know I would like to know where the hell sherwood came from all of a sudden. A few years ago sherwood was total shit! I didn't even consider sherwood when I was looking for my new reciever.

J

John Morris

A few years ago sherwood was total shit! I didn't even consider sherwood when I was looking for my new reciever.
True, so true. Yet, Sherwood is the Pioneer, Onkyo, Sony, and Sherwood Newcastle is the Integra of their line... There is a big difference between Sherwood and Sherwood-Newcastle... Just as there is between Pioneer and Pioneer Elite and Onkyo and Integra,

Steve K.H.

Supporting Actor
Out of ignorance and a complete inability to locate a Sherwood Newcastle in Canada...
(damn their website sucks, no international links, no return to home page in many areas)
...anyway back to topic, I'll say this...
The Newcastle looks nice in the pictures.:D

MTrotter

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Marc
Just make sure Sherwood Newcastle are as good as claimed. Sherwood Newcastle sounds good on paper. That's why I bought a R-725 a couple of years ago that was supposed to have 120 watts per channel with great audio sound quality. However, when I got it set up, it turned out to have audible amplifier hum from both the left and right channels. Also, the sound quality was not as good as a several year old Marantz reciever I was using the Sherwood to replace. I tried everything to eliminate the hum to no avail and ended up sending it back. At that time, Best Buy was selling a line of Nakamichi recivers, that apparently were the same as their independent dealer line. These went for something like $300 so I picked one up. Boy, this was far superior to the Newcastle. Absolutely no hum and far superior audio quality. Very clear and powerful, more so than my original Marantz.

Jack Kelsey

Agent
Would someone please notice that the Sherwood Corporation is from Korea?
The brand is being discussed here like some kind of exotic audiophile boutique. (Its performance has never appealed to my ears except in its initial days as an American hi-fidelity brand)
The home page for the Sherwood HEADQUARTERS is found here:
Link Removed
Please make your own judgement. Never mind the possible 'devotion' to high quality electronics - it doesn't even seem to cross their mind that someone might think they 'can't even English.'

Matt_Sulli

Agent
The Sherwood newcastles are as good as they are on paper, i auditioned one 2 weeks ago, 956 and 963 to be exact, for under a grand i would go with the 956 over anything, denon, marantz, yamaha, i listened to all of them, newcastle was just better, you should be able to find the 956 for 900-1000, main difference from the 963 is the loss of the 7th channel amp. still has 120x6

MatthewJ S

Supporting Actor
RXV2200 from Yamaha ...Top-Art amps are not thin or bright but their ability to tame a room with their CONTROL of initial and secondary delay ,etc can do wonders....$950 retail

Matt_Sulli

Agent
the rx-v2200 is another good choice, yamaha apparently just dropped the retail down to 800 according to my local dealer, the sherwood is better, but also 200 more

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks