1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Need ideas for an a/v receiver for 1/2 music and 1/2 movies in $1000.00 range

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Todd smith, Apr 5, 2002.

1. Todd smith

Todd smith Supporting Actor

I will most likely be pairing this receiver with s-series jbl's. If not those then paradigns, but one of the two.

2. StevenK

StevenK Second Unit

Harman Kardon AVR520

I'm biased though, cause I just got one. Musically, I prefer it to my old Onkyo 676, but I did also upgrade my speakers to NHTs so I can't say that it's the reason for the better performance. But...others have raved about it's musical abilities.

3. Jack Kelsey

Jack Kelsey Agent

What's with the 50% music and 50% films? An amplifier is supposed to relay the original signal from music, speech, film or WHATEVER.

If one is just listening to films there's a good chance most of the soundtracks will be so-so - and so you'll never notice quality.

But some films have EXCELLENT soundtracks and so a good amp will be able to relay that excellence.

When an amp is described as being good for music it hopefully means that it is an accurately performing amp and will pass on the good work of a good recording studio. Ergo - it will ALSO be able to relay a good sound track.

Too often amp manufacturers for home theater rely on Sylvester shooting around the room in 5 or 6 channels and people forgetting to pay attention to what actual excellent sound should be.

4. Todd smith

Todd smith Supporting Actor

It means I will be using it half the time to watch movies and half the time listening to music. As I understand it, a a/v receiver does NOT always do both well which is why I phrased my question this way.

5. MarkO

MarkO Second Unit

I would also recomend a harman/kardon reciever for its quality amp section in youre price range.

6. Jack Kelsey

Jack Kelsey Agent

An amp (av receiver or whatever) that performs accurately for music will perform also well for films (assuming surround format technology done properly).

The quality of an amp is REPRODUCING the original signal - garbage in should be garbage out, gold in, gold out.

So it really has NOTHING to do with the content - the amp is NOT supposed to influence the original recording - be it music, speech or a film soundtrack!

But as I said, if one gets just 'taken in' by surround effects, one can get their eye taken off the ball of also demanding accurate reproduction of the non-surround aspect of the sound.

7. Mike Thomas

Mike Thomas Auditioning

Todd,

If you are interested, I will be selling my Denon 5700 in a couple of weeks. I will be asking $1,000.00 for this unit. I purchased the unit new 18 months ago. Unit is in great shape, no dings scratches etc.

8. Anthony Moore

Anthony Moore Supporting Actor

Denon 3802...all you'll ever need
    www.6ave.com authorized dealer...you can get it for a lot cheaper than the website if you call. It was listed at $1100 when i bought it in September. I got it for $850 shipped when I called.

9. Wayne McRae

Wayne McRae Stunt Coordinator

Todd,I agree with Anthony,The 3802 is a good bang for your buck receiver with all the new formats.I listened to this and the Onkyo 898 in the last week and found the Onkyo better for music,while movies were similar.The Onkyo has a direct mode which shuts off all internal cicuitry and sounded great.I've heard of people getting the 898 for $1150 so your wallet will have to decide if it's worth it or not.The number 1 thing I would do is get out there with a DVD and a good CD and have a good listen.Hope this helps.By the way,this is my opinion only.I didn't even take my own advice,I ended up buying Adcom amps instead of the 898:b

Wayner

10. John Morris

John Morris Guest

Sherwood Newcastle R-963, online on Ebay for $1150. An absolute, bonefide steal. Analog bypass is super, it has all the modes, and it has Power to spare. IMO, performance wise, this receiver approaches the realm of the Denon 5802.

11. ChrisAG

ChrisAG Supporting Actor

Though I haven't heard the HK, I'd definitely throw Marantz in there for musicality. The moment I heard the 6200 I realized it was great for music. I also had an Onkyo 797 in my home for a week and it didn't come close for music, though it had somewhat more "punch" for HT. Same with the Yamaha RX-V1000.

There IS a difference in sound between amplifier brands, and some are better at one task or the other. It may not make a lot of sense, but it's true.

12. John Royster

John Royster Screenwriter

I'd have to give music reproduction to the HK520. The 3802 amps seemed real weak to me.

13. Dan Hine

Dan Hine Screenwriter

Todd,

You can probably find some good deals on Pioneer Elites right now. I picked up a VSX 35tx a week ago for a mere $500. You may be able to find a few models higher for under a grand. I absolutely love the sound of this receiver and it's so fun to use too. Hopefully one of your local dealers can get you a deal. Best of luck!

Jack,

14. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Lot of recommendations for the H/K, but I'm going to have to say listen to the Marantz SR7200 and 8200. I auditioned the 3802, and while it sounded good, I went with Marantz. H/K is good, but at the time, I got a better deal on my 6200. I felt the 3802 was a bit flat, almost weak also.

15. Stephen Houdek

Stephen Houdek Second Unit

S
    You can pick up an Onkyo 797 for ~$800. I enjoy mine for music and movies. Lots of punch in the movies and very accurate and detailed musically.

I also have JBL speakers and it matches well with them. I don't think you would be sorry with the Onkyo/JBL combo. I use mine 50/50 as well and am VERY happy with my setup.

16. Chris_Freeman

I have to agree with Dan on this one, Ive got the VSX33 and it sounds great for music and HT. If you dont like these I would also consider Marant SR7200/8200. They sound great too.

17. Matt Malto

Matt Malto Stunt Coordinator

Another vote for the Denon 3802/1082. Just switched from a Pioneer Elite VSX-36TX to the Denon and there is a night/day difference in the music reproduction. The Denon sounds fantastic.

18. Steve K.H.

Steve K.H. Supporting Actor

The 8200 deserves mention but the build on the 7200 is lower. Second rate.

Onkyo 898 vs HK 520 vs Marantz 8200 vs Denon 3802... those are the four you should look at or better yet, listen to.

Then it's a question of what's important to you...

THX

Circle Surround

Upper End Clean Power

LCD Universal Remote

Firewire

Logic 7

etc.

What is nice to have versus MUST have and what falls in the middle.

Personally, I like the HK 520 for what you get. The Marantz 8200 is pricier, but throws in upgradeability and a remote that costs a fortune if purchased stand alone.

All are able to bump to 7.1 (if that ever takes off... remember Quad?)

19. MTrotter

MTrotter Stunt Coordinator

Marc
    If you don't want/need 7.1 channel capability, the Marantz SR8000 is the previous generation of the 8200. Has DD/DTS decoding, multi-channel analog input(for DVD-Audio or SACD). It also has a VERY good amplifier section(copper-shielded chassis) with 105 watts to all 5 channels. They are getting hard to find, but I just ordered one from Authorized Electronics. You can go to AudioReview.com and there are over 60 user reviews there, almost all very positive.

20. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I feel the previous generation of Marantz are a bit better also, specifically in the amp stage, but maybe in circuitry also. If you can find one, I'll second the SR8000 and maybe event the 7000.