Need idea on butter dispenser

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by RickBlacker, Mar 14, 2003.

1. RickBlacker

RickBlacker Stunt Coordinator

I just bought a nice popcorn popper. You know.. the kind you see at the theaters. It is of course not on the huge scale as some but it is a nice sized unit. Anyway to my question.

I am looking for an alternative to the butter dispensers you see at the theaters, I have priced them and they are in excess of $300.00. Having already spent over $500.00 for a used popper, I don't really care to buy a $300.00 butter dispenser.

I was hoping to find out if anyone else has been in the situation and if you had come up with a good solution. It would be nice if the solution had some kind of a heating element and a pump...

Any ideas?

Thanks all.
    Rick

2. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer

Carl III
    I searched Ebay for butter warmer and came up with a page full of possibilities. The best option I see is something like a cup that's kept warm with a candle. Pump systems are messy and it wouldn't be worth the hassle when you're looking to dispense by the ounce rather than the gallon.

3. David.N

David.N Agent

4. Mark.D

Mark.D Agent

Rick,

You've spent the cash and now have a primo HT... the finest in movie viewing experience...

There is NO substitute for REAL butter on popcorn... my suggestion is use a microwave to nuke some butter and drizzle it over the popcorn [​IMG]

M.

5. Tim K

Tim K Second Unit

I agree. Get a nice microwave safe cream pitcher, put in the real butter, nuke it, and set it next to the machine. You could pick up one of those little hot plates that you can put on your desk to keep your coffee warm and set the pitcher on there to keep it warm.

6. MikeWh

MikeWh Second Unit

I'm also a real butter supporter (go butter!) [​IMG]

I have a mini-crock pot that could be used. If you needed to keep a large amount warm without constantly re-nuking, it would do the trick. It's similar to this, although maybe even smaller:

http://www.wdrake.com/shop/product.c...33&PID=1205356

I use it for cheese dips all the time. mmmmmm.... theater nachos.... must... eat... nachos....

I wonder if warm (not HOT) butter would work in a soft soap dispenser like this one:
    http://www.kitchenetc.com/Products.cfm?sku=000881128
    Looks nice. Cheap. hmmmm. Probably not fun to clean after every movie party, though.

Microwave-safe sprayers are also available:
    http://www.thehomemarketplace.com/sh...87&PID=1258418

For fake-butter fans, I wonder if this would work [​IMG]
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...ance&s=kitchen

7. RickBlacker

Mike, great links... I really like the butter sprayer as well as the warm lotion dispencer.

Gotta work with the *fake* buttery topping though. Love the fake stuff you get at the theaters. [​IMG]

8. BlakeN

BlakeN Stunt Coordinator

Ive gotta go with the mini crock too that seems like not only the easiest to clean but it will keep that butter good and warm.

9. MikeWh

MikeWh Second Unit

Rick-- I can see it now in the 2003 Darwin Awards:
    "Home theater nut uses warm lotion dispenser to heat fake butter. House burns down. Conair makes changes to their legal disclaimers." [​IMG] Seriously... if you use it, be sure to come back and post your test results!! And if something bad should happen, don't say I toldya to use it!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

Blake and other mini-crock fans--- You might want to check for cheaper, if you want to save more money (not that $25 is $$$)... but I just came upon the link while browsing a single site. You might find it cheaper elsewhere.

10. RickBlacker

Mike, I promise not to tell them. [​IMG]

11. Anthony_Fros

Anthony_Fros Agent

12. RickBlacker

Anthony, I tried to place a bid on that dispenser, but someone must have some kind of scrip going on in the background or something because everytime I try and incriment the bid, at that very instant the same person outbids me by a dollar. [​IMG]

13. MikeWh

MikeWh Second Unit

Rick-- They are proxy bidding. I think the vast majority of regular ebayers use proxy bidding. The person that is outbidding you has just placed a higher maximum bid than you. It will increment their bid to the next higher bid increment (in this case: $1.00), until their highest bid is reached or until someone else outbids their maximum.

The process is basically set up to say "what's the maximum you'd pay for this thing, until you'd stop running up the price." It's a reasonable system, in that it allows for fair-market value. Unfortunately, for the "occasional bidder," it may require you to be more tenacious in monitoring the auction.

Look at http://pages.ebay.com/help/buy/proxy-bidding.html for more on the process.

14. Anthony_Fros

Anthony_Fros Agent

15. Jesse P

Jesse P Extra

This isn't really a butter dispenser comment, but does anyone know where or what brand the theater butter is? I love the stuff and would love to have the same flavor at home. Thanks

16. RickBlacker

Jesse... Oh yeah... I have the stuff. If you can hang on for a few hours, when I get home I will take a picture of the jug it comes in and post a pic. I will even point you to a place local to where I live (Portland Oregon) where you can pick it up. You may be able to order from them and have it shipped, not sure though.

Off the top of my head, I belive the stuff is called Sunkist or something close to that.

17. BlakeN

BlakeN Stunt Coordinator

I got lucky my wife and i have a minicrock we got for a wedding gift.. brand new in the box now I finaly have a use for it hehe

18. Jesse P

Jesse P Extra

Rick, that would be great. Everyone at my house loves popcorn with their movies and this would add to the experience. Thanks ahead of time.

Jesse

19. RickBlacker

Jesse... I am so sorry, a friend came over last night and I forgot all about it... But one place I can point you too on the internet if you like is http://www.gmpopcorn.com. They have apparently just redone their web site and for some reason are not showing all their supplies anymore.

Here is an image of the popcorn packets that I purchased, it's the same corn, oil and seasoning used in the theaters just prepackaged for convince. I got two cases of them. They come in different sizes. They are presized to match the size of your kettle (if you have an industrial popper) if you just want to pop some in your largest pot on the stove, I would recommend getting the 6 oz bags of this. This has both the corn, coconut oil and salt seasoning all in one bag. BUT it is NOT the buttery topping your looking for. That is in a separate jug all together. And that is what I have to get you [​IMG]

I will try and find the info to the place where I bought all this. I found it in the phone book, I will see if they have gotten their web sit up yet also. But at least I can get you the phone number...

20. MikeWh

MikeWh Second Unit