need horror recommendations please...

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Keith_R, May 31, 2003.

1. Keith_R

Keith_R Screenwriter

Kyle
    Hey all, I'm trying to find a DVD as a gift for a friend. My friend is a big horror movie buff and is really into the extra features on DVDs because he is pursuing a career in the movie business. I'm looking for good Horror or thriller DVD recommendations. The movie should probably be pretty good and the DVD needs to have some good extras about the behind the scenes stuff, it would be preferable if the DVD was extra packed. Please help. Thanks.

2. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

The Others has a really good set.

3. Ryan_TD

Ryan_TD Stunt Coordinator

As far as upcoming releases, Anchor Bay has Deluxe 2-disc version's of Halloween and Day of the Dead coming in August.
    For what's out now Evil Dead - Book of the Dead is excellent, and although I don't have it I've hear the Near Dark dvd is cool as far as extra material.
    The Texas Chainsaw Massacre is loaded with extra material but unfortunatly is non-anamorphic.
    If you're willing to look into some with not-too-much extra material try Hellraiser, Nightmare On Elm Street, The Exorcist(Version You've Never Seen), or better yet just check out the Anchor Bay website...

4. Arnie G

Arnie G Supporting Actor

Try The Thing, The Exorcist SE, The Fog, Jaws, or Frailty. Most have commentaries, documentaries, etc. It's not always the quantity of extras that makes a title great, but the quality.[​IMG]

5. Jason_Els

Jason_Els Screenwriter

For extras and something different, check out Criterion's two big horror releases, Carnival of Souls and Suspiria. Both are jammed full of extras and really good, if unusual and relatively unknown, horror films. Both have are multi-dvd packages filled with all kinds of great extras. These would make excellent presents. BTW, you might see Criterion's Haxan: Witchcraft Through the Ages which only kinda sorta maybe is a horror film. It's a silent Swedish documentary on the history of witchcraft with some very fanciful (sometimes hilarious) "historical re-enactments." It's more of an amusement piece these days.

Kwaidan is another wonderful Criterion release. Kwaidan is a series of one act vignettes within the same film rather like Twilight Zone: The Movie or Tales From the Darkside: The Movie. Kwaidan is an unsettling movie and wonderfully atmospheric. Not as many extras but again something rare and unusual.

If your friend likes extras than the first two are perfect. Save on rare occasion, nobody includes extras like Criterion does.

6. JeremySt

JeremySt Screenwriter

Jeremy
    Horror: my favorite genre!

these DVDs have great content

The Exorcist: Special Edition
    Alien
    Evil Dead trilogy
    Night of The Living Dead (Millenium Edition) (avoid Anchor Bay Editon at all costs)
    Return of The Living Dead
    Suspiria
    Texas Chainsaw Massacre
    The Thing: Collectors Edition
    Frankenstein
    Halloween
    Psycho

These are great Horror movies with few special features
    The Changeling
    Poltergeist
    The Shining

Great Thrillers
    Dead Calm
    The Hitcher
    The Ninth Gate

7. Scott Temple

Scott Temple Supporting Actor

Black Christmas (Collector's Edition)

*make sure it's the Collector's Edition and not the 25th Anniversary Edition

Some other great choices:

The Mothman Prophecies (Special Edition, 2-disc set)
    The Others
    The Texas Chain Saw Massacre
    The Fog
    The Thing
    Carrie (Special Edition)
    Psycho (1960, Anthony Perkins)
    Halloween (Restored Limited Edition 2-disc set)
    Se7en (2-disc Platinum Series)
    Piranha
    I Spit On Your Grave (Millennium Edition)
    The Last House On The Left
    The Blair Witch Project
    Ginger Snaps (Canadian Collector's Edition)
    The Exorcist (25th Anniversary Special Edition)
    The Exorcist (The Version You've Never Seen)
    Phantasm
    Signs
    Darkness Falls

8. shane_watson

shane_watson Stunt Coordinator

the ring

9. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    I'm backed into a corner here, because I want to recommend The Relic because it's one scary assed thrill ride...but there's nothing on the disc at all and you asked for extras.

Another vote for both The Exorcist 25th Anniversary Edition and Frailty, two solid discs.

10. Brian PB

Brian PB Supporting Actor

11. Julie K

Julie K Screenwriter

Well, if your friend is such a huge horror fan, he likely has many of the excellent DVDs already mentioned. What huge horror fan doesn't have Texas Chainsaw Massacre or Evil Dead? (Unless he's just starting out collecting DVDs...)

12. TerryW

TerryW Stunt Coordinator

If your friend can wait until the Anchor Bay re-release of HALLOWEEN that's my recommendation. It's John Carpenter's first film as a director and this version will contain his extremely informative audio commentary from the Criterion Collection which also has Debra Hill (her first time producing) and Jamie Lee Curtis (her debut as an actress).

All of them provide essential material from the point-of-view of first-time filmmakers making a horror film on a shoe-string budget.

Even if your friend has seen this film already it is important to study it if he wants to make horror films that don't suck like most out there today. Study the pacing, the photography, the music (by John), the editing.

I also think that THE TEXAS CHAIN SAW MASSACRE is required viewing and has an excellent commentary from the Director, DP and Gunner Hansen who played Leatherface. An especially relentless horror film that has no equal and has almost NO blood and gore despite its reputation.

And, of course, NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD and DAWN OF THE DEAD. Listening to Romero and friends talk about making these films is a pure joy.

The thing to remember is that NIGHT, TEXAS and HALLOWEEN are all debut films from Romero, Hooper and Carpenter which is probably why they open up so much and are willing to discuss the process of getting them to the screen. And they are ALL classics. If you want to make a horror film today that stands up to yesterday's standards then watch and study these discs.

13. RobD

RobD Second Unit

I like the following Anchor Bay Releases:
    Suspiria LE
    Opera LE
    Evil Dead

The MGM Carrie SE is also damn good.

14. Scott_MacD

Scott_MacD Supporting Actor

15. Justin_S

Justin_S Producer

16. TerryW

TerryW Stunt Coordinator

first horror film is what I meant. [​IMG]

17. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

Anyone mention Session 9 yet? Excellent flick and some darn solid extras on there too. The piece on the old hospital is almost as creepy as the movie itself.

Almost.

18. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

Jason made some really excellent suggestions and I expect that Julie is correct that your friend has most of the ‘classics’ in any case, but (most of these are restated):

Halloween—the copy I have has very good extras. Great view on how a beginning, low-budget film is made. I listed this for the extras even though it is a give that your friend already knows this well.

Carnival of Souls—the Criterion has some great (and some boring) extras. Another example of a film shot on a shoestring. And the problems of distribution even after the film is made.

The Vanishing—get the one directed by George Sluizer (another Criterion). This is first-rate.

Blood for Dracula—for a completely different approach—sort of a mixture of camp, art and a deeper meaning. Another Criterion with good extras.. It was originally released in 3D, but I don’t think that you can find it that way. Likely Justin knows.

Kwaidan for yet another perspective on horror films.

There is a good chance that he won’t have seen all of the last four.

19. Walt Riarson

Walt Riarson Supporting Actor

Black Christmas: Collector's Edition

20. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

I recall enjoying the disc for Dog Soldiers, with a pretty good commentary. Great movie, that grows on me with every viewing.