Need honest opinions, please help?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by AlClarkJr, Jan 2, 2004.

1. AlClarkJr

AlClarkJr Stunt Coordinator

Hello everyone, I need a little help. I trust everyone's opinion on this forum, all the advice I've received has been so helpful. This is the deal, I'm upgrading my Panny 47" to a 65" (haven't told wife yet) I've narrowed it down I believe to 2 televisions the Mitsubishi WS-65313 and the Sony KP-65WS510. Prices are the same. but I would like opinions from a few owners of these tvs. Your help would be greatly appreciated. thanks again!!

2. John S

John S Producer

Well, I am not an owner.

But when I was looking at purchasing, the Mitsu's always seemed to have a better picture quality to me.

(Both were out of my price range though)

I bought a 60" Philips.

3. AlClarkJr

Thanks John, I was leaning toward the Sony because of a review I read In Perfect Vision Magazine (2003
    November/December issue) that gave incredible props to the Sony.(picture incredible so says the reviewers out of the box) But the Mits does have 3 component inputs as well as DVI and of course a great picture. I think I'll stop by Sears on the way home and look at them both again.

4. John S

John S Producer

DVI would be a way cool thing to have. I don't have it. I do think it may become more important for future enhancements and longevity of the products that have it.

5. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

The Sony 510 series does have DVI, and does produce an excellent picture out of the box with just a quick AVIA calibration. It's line doubling is so good that the purchase of a progressive scan player is not an immediate necessity, and it's variable stretch mode is one of the best in the business.

6. Scott*B

Scott*B Stunt Coordinator

I can't speak for the Sony but I own the 65313 and it's a very nice set. I upgraded from a 53" Samsung. HD material is stunning. DVD is great. SD is of course not so good but won't be on any TV this size. I'd say you can't go wrong w/ either. I know one thing the Mitsu can't do is native 720p so XBOX gaming is hurt. Not sure if the Sony can either but I highly doubt it.

7. AlClarkJr

Thanks Scott, actually the Sony does 720p. I went to Sears yesterday I think I've decided on the Mits I need the room also on the top of the tv for my center channel. By the way what is youor viewing distance? I'm about 12' from my 47" panny and it's fine. I can move back about another 1'- 2'. I shouldn't be overwelmed at that distance, should I?

8. Scott*B

Scott*B Stunt Coordinator

No, I'm at about 11 feet from my 65" and doesnt bother me whatsoever.

9. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer