Need "high end" DVD player for 42" Panasonic PD3-P plasma display. Any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brent M, Feb 8, 2003.

1. Brent M

Brent M Producer

I'm ordering a new Panasonic 42" PD3-P plasma display on Monday and I need to find the perfect DVD player to match it. I currently have a Pioneer Elite DV-37 which has served me well for the past 3 years, but I know there is something better out there now and I'm looking for the best player on the market(within reason......the $8000 Krell Standard is a little out of my price range. My current top contenders(in no particular order) are as follows:

Pioneer Elite DV-47Ai
    Denon DVD-3800
    Yamaha DVD-S2300
    Sony DVP-NS999ES

I've also heard good things about the Denon DVD-1600 and the Panasonic DVD-RP82, but they are much cheaper players and I am a little suspect of their build quality. As far as the 4 contenders listed above, I'm aware that each has their own quirks and I'm trying to find out which one has the fewest problems. I know the Pioneer has the chroma bug, the Denon supposedly has the chroma bug fixed but has some laser problems, the Sony is not highly regarded from most reviews I've read and the Yamaha is hard to find and thus not many people have reviewed it. I'm probably going to rule out the Sony completely so between the Pioneer Elite, Denon and Yamaha--which one is the best player? My main concern is DVD video quality and audio reproduction for DVDs. I'm not concerned with CD, SACD or DVD-Audio playback at the present time(although I may be in the future). This player will be used strictly for movies and I'm searching to find out which one of these 3 main contenders will do the best job on DVD video and audio playback. Any suggestions and/or input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help.

Brent

2. Donnie Eldridge

Donnie Eldridge Supporting Actor

If you looking for picture quality I'm shocked you ruled out the Panasonic RP-91. It may not be as new as some of the others, but it can still hang with those on your list. Besides the built in X & Y scaling is almost a prerequisite, especially when it comes to plasma's.

3. Mike Gariepy

Mike Gariepy Stunt Coordinator

4. John-Miles

John-Miles Screenwriter

Of those four I would take the Yamaha, it and the pioneer are the only universal ones, and from all reports the Yamaha is a better player than the pioneer.

Personally I am upgrading my player soon, and I for one am not going to spend a boat load of money on a new player only to want another in a year or two because mine lacks dvd-a or sacd.

5. Brent M

Brent M Producer

John,

Funny, I've heard just the opposite--that the Pioneer DV-47Ai smokes the Yamaha S2300 in terms of video quality. In the few reviews I've found on the Yamaha, it has been criticized for a less than stellar picture. Everything I've read about the Pioneer has been positive(other than the shootout) and I've almost convinced myself to buy it for the bargain price of $675. I don't think the chroma bug is that big of an issue since I've never noticed it on my DV-37.

Brent

6. John-Miles

John-Miles Screenwriter

Well I personally ahvent compared the two players, but I personally will not buy the pioneer because of the chroma bug, its not so much that it has it as that it shows a lack of concern for overall quality for a player in this price range to ahve this well known problem.

Honestly I have heard that the yamaha is a little soft, but still ive heard it is a great picture.