What's new

need helping choosing between two receivers (1 Viewer)

tgadoua

Auditioning
Real Name
timothy gadoua
hi, everyone, I'm new here, and would appreciate some good advice choosing a receiver.I'm currently running m&k LCR-750 thx with m&k s-550 surrounds with an outlaw 1050 surround receiver. i want to upgrade the receiver to either last years model pioneer sc 55, or current model marantz sr5007. both can be bought for about the same price $800. i thought maybe the marantz might sound better with music, so i am leaning that way since i probably play more music, than watch movies. any advice would be helpful, and appreciated.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Marantz is nothing more than a Denon in a dress. (and no, that is not a complimentary comment on the current state of Marantz being the "lost step daughter" in D&M holdings...)
Pioneer/Elite have switched amp designs. Lots of power....and to some people...no heft. Best is to buy one and see if you like the change from prior years...but if you don't have a frame of reference...
To me, if you want musicality...
Yamaha RX-A.

tgadoua

Auditioning
Real Name
timothy gadoua
thanks Sam for the info, but are you sure Marantz is a Denon, with a different faceplate? also the front and center speaker I'm using are 4 ohm. are the yammies 4 ohm certified?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Yes Marantz is no more than a "Denon in fancier clothes"...Been that way for two model years now. Confirmed(on another site) when the 6005 and 2112(I think it was those two) were bought by one person and the covers removed. 95% of the innards were identical. The differences were the Marantz had a 12v and other options the Denon didn't have. Otherwise...power supplies and main board were the same.
Once you get to the RX-A, you need not worry about 4ohm. I know the 1010/1020 is capable of handling 4ohm as it lists 4ohm power in the specs. Pretty sure the 810/820 is up to the task. Would be surprised if the 710/720 isn't 4ohm stable.

tgadoua

Auditioning
Real Name
timothy gadoua
thanks again Sam. just read a review on the rx-a1010. sounds like a good one to check out. the only qualms the reviewer had ws the video processor. he said you have to go up to the rx-a2010 to get theHQV video processor, but he said i was sonically the best receiver he"s heard at that price point! thanks again!

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The only reason you need HQ Vida is if you watch VHS or play Wii. Unless you still spin LD...or even RCA VD. Most DVD players out there do a good job of scaling. I have two Hitachi plasma(the only places where I watch anything "non-HD") and I can't tell a difference between...
The Hitachi's doing it themselves...
Pioneer DV420
Panny BD35
Onkyo NR1008
The other set up...besides a different Hitachi...
LG DN191
Sony BDPS350
Integra DTR 7.8
I watch a bunch of foreign PAL movies...which is the reason for the Pio and LG.

tgadoua

Auditioning
Real Name
timothy gadoua
ok thanks again. good to know i dont need HQV processing.i found out i was looking at last years models, the new ones are the 720, 820 1020, 2020, and 3020. i think I'm gonna look at the 820, or 1020! now i have to get my best price!

tgadoua

Auditioning
Real Name
timothy gadoua
Ok, now I have a choice to make. I can buy last years model rx-a2010 for $788, or this years model open box model rx-a1020 for $748?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
If you use Pandora, you want to 2010. Yammy dropped Pandora support this year...
It has some people on message boards all up in arms. Never mind the fact you can stream it from another device anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks