need help

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Sonya A, Oct 14, 2002.

1. Sonya A

Sonya A Auditioning

I was thinking about purchasing a RCA 300 watt surround sound system. I have a 27in Sanyo Mono tv. I also have a playstation 2 I was going to hookup as a dvd player and to play games as well as watch dvds in surround sound. Can I hook up a mono tv to the surround sound system and playstation 2 and what do I have to do? I would like to know before I go and blow a couple hundred dollars on a system that may or maynot work with a mono tv.I dont know much about surround sound systems so if anyone could give me any advice or suggestions I would really appreciate it.
    Thanks,
    Sonya

2. Bill_Weinreich

Bill_Weinreich Second Unit

Sonya,

Hooking up a mono signal to a surround reciever will yield a mono sound. Your best (and probably cheapest) option would be to aquire a cheap hi-fi VCR (seen them in the $60 range). It will decode the stereo signal from your antenna or cable and that can be sent to the reciever for stereo sound. The PS2 has an audio output which can be directly hooked up to the receiver via a digital connection. That will give you the Dolby Digital surround from the DVDs.

Bill

3. Iver

Iver Second Unit

You can connect the PS2 directly to the surround-sound system and you will have surround-sound audio. Then just connect the video output from the PS2 to the TV (does the TV have a yellow video jack? If not you'll need another type of adaptor called an RF modulator which sells for about $30).

Do you want to play your TV (broadcast) audio on the surround-sound system? If so e-mail me the details of the inputs/outputs on the TV and I can tell you what you need to do.