Need Help

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Kevin W, Mar 1, 2004.

1. Kevin W

Kevin W Auditioning

Looking for a replacement for the Kenwood HTB-205. I need more power.[​IMG] Price range is about $300 to $400. I've been looking at two systems recently. The Panasonic SC-HT900 700 watt and the Logitech Z-680. What are your opinions on using a PC home theater system for watching DVDs with a DVD player, not a computer. Also, what does "RMS" mean? I've read the system has about 500 watts RMS and a total peak power of 1000 watts. What does this mean? Basically, I'm looking for, preferably, a 5.1 surround HTIB with as much power as possible for the money. Also, I prefer having more power for the subwoofer and the center speaker than the other speakers, and a receiver that supports Dolby Digital, DTS, and Pro Logic II. What are your suggestions?

2. John Dickerson

I recently just purchashed the Yamaha YHt 340 which is right in your price range. IN my opinion its a pretty powerful system you can check out my review at http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it...iews/502399487
    I've never heard a pc 5.1 system so i can't really help you in that area. The term RMS is used to tell the amount of watts a system puts out constantly. If a reciever gives you a peak rating than that means that would be what the reciever would put out only for a fraction of a second, for instance like during bass peaks.

3. Kevin W

Kevin W Auditioning

Is the Panasonic SC-HT900 any good? (I'm wondering because it's on sale this week.)[​IMG] Or should I wait and get something else?

4. MuneebM

MuneebM Supporting Actor

All I can say is that if you can afford it, do yourself a favor and think outside the box! I used to own the Kenwood HTB-506 and thought it was great. I recently sold it and upgraded everything (see sig). I spent 3-4 times more money than what my HTB-506 cost me, but in my humblest of opinions it now sounds 10 times better and it was definitely worth the upgrade!