What's new

Need help with wiring question. (1 Viewer)

If my receiver only has an rca subwoofer output, is there any way I can use a subwoofer (non-powered) which only has the 2 spring clips for the speaker wires? If so, how, and will I lose ANY performance?

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
You have some choices:

- Find an old receiver and feed this second receiver from the subwoofer output and attach the sub to one of the speaker terminals on the old receiver. If you dont have one, hit eBay to find some older ProLogic receiver that someone is selling off.

- Go to a DIY subwoofer site and buy a dedicated amp module for about $120 to power that sub.

Okay, I just realized that this sub IS INDEED a powered subwoofer. However, it still only has the 2 spring clips -- no RCA input.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Is this sub part of a computer speaker set?

A typical sub has 4 sets of spring clips: 2 for input, 2 for output. You typically send the L or R speaker signal to the sub, it will strip off the sounds it wants, then send the rest to the output terminals. You run wire from the output to your speaker.

You might check Radio Shack for an adaptor to break out from a RCA cable to 2 wires that you can stick into those spring clips.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks