Need help with what gauge speaker wires to buy, and where (not online!)

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Dan-BOC, Apr 2, 2003.

1. Dan-BOC

Dan-BOC Auditioning

I just purchased the Polk RTi70 tower speakers and will soon be buying a receiver to go along with them. I was thinking of the Kenwood VR-6050 for right now, but I'm not sure. I would like to know what gauge cables would be best suited for these speakers? Someone told me 12 or 16, so I'm wondering if anyone can confirm it. Would I need some sort of special plugs? I've been recommended banana plugs. Can anyone explain how these work?

I also have some pretty cheap rear bookshelf speakers, and I would probably need 18-26 ft wires for those. Any suggestion of what gauge?

No center channel for right now (and I'm selling the free subwoofer that I got when buying the speakers... PSW 202 won't do it for me)

And finally, I do not want to buy these online as I want to get this set up as soon as possible. What are some stores where I can get medium grade or so wires WITHOUT getting totally ripped off? I don't want anything high grade, just something that will fit into my budget and still provide decent quality.

Many thanks for anyone that can help me out here.

2. Mark gas

Mark gas Second Unit

use 12 gauge and go to homedepot they have it for cheap.

3. Russell Osborne

Second the home depot recommendation. Banana plugs are for convenience if you will be moving the speakers often. The best connection is bare wire to the speaker terminals IMO. Hope this helps.

4. Dan-BOC

Dan-BOC Auditioning

Okay, thanks. Will head out to Home Depot in a bit.

So 12 gauge for both the front and rear speakers?

5. BobAlbano

BobAlbano Second Unit

12 gauge for both should work nicely! [​IMG]