What's new

Need help with what gauge speaker wires to buy, and where (not online!) (1 Viewer)

Dan-BOC

Auditioning
I just purchased the Polk RTi70 tower speakers and will soon be buying a receiver to go along with them. I was thinking of the Kenwood VR-6050 for right now, but I'm not sure. I would like to know what gauge cables would be best suited for these speakers? Someone told me 12 or 16, so I'm wondering if anyone can confirm it. Would I need some sort of special plugs? I've been recommended banana plugs. Can anyone explain how these work?

I also have some pretty cheap rear bookshelf speakers, and I would probably need 18-26 ft wires for those. Any suggestion of what gauge?

No center channel for right now (and I'm selling the free subwoofer that I got when buying the speakers... PSW 202 won't do it for me)

And finally, I do not want to buy these online as I want to get this set up as soon as possible. What are some stores where I can get medium grade or so wires WITHOUT getting totally ripped off? I don't want anything high grade, just something that will fit into my budget and still provide decent quality.

Many thanks for anyone that can help me out here.

Second the home depot recommendation. Banana plugs are for convenience if you will be moving the speakers often. The best connection is bare wire to the speaker terminals IMO. Hope this helps.

Dan-BOC

Auditioning
Okay, thanks. Will head out to Home Depot in a bit.

So 12 gauge for both the front and rear speakers?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks