Need help with the speaker wiring

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jedd, Apr 8, 2002.

1. Jedd

Jedd Second Unit

I'm almost ready to go, receiver (H/K 520) and speakers (S-40, S-20) are unpacked, the missing thing between them is wire.

So I'm planning to get to HD tonight and pick up some wire for it. I'm not sure what gauge should I get - the distance is ~5 ft to mains and ~15 ft to rears. Is it 2 wires for one speaker? What kind of terminals do I need for this? Is it just a pair of banana's for each speaker? Do I need to solder them?

2. Jedd

Jedd Second Unit

I found some cabeles at work, but have no idea what markings should I look at.
    Like it says:
    UL 1015 12AWG 65/30, 600 volt peak
    105C dry 60C exposed to oil
    [​IMG]

3. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    That sounds like some kind of electrical wire, Jedd, THHN, maybe?

Yes, it's two wires for each speaker. So-called speaker wire comes equiped for the job as two wires bonded to make a single cable.

14ga. wire is fine for your application, since your runs are so short. If you feel like “splurging” you might get some 12ga. wire.

While terminals are nice, you really don’t need them. You can strip back the insulation a ½” or so and connect them to the receiver and speakers like that.

Banana plugs are nice in that they let you quickly plug in and unplug the speakers – handy if you rearrange the room or the system a lot.

I'm sure others will chime in with their favorite recommendations.

Regards,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

4. Jedd

Jedd Second Unit

Ok, probably it will be easier to by a roll in the HD and not to mess with electrical wires.

Thanks for info.

5. Marc Rochkind

Marc Rochkind Second Unit

An easy way to do this is to visit Radio Shack and get their 12 gauge speaker wire. I believe this isn't packaged for hanging, but is in a box and they cut it for you. 12 gauge is so cheap there's no point in using a smaller gauge. Also, Radio Shack has high-quality banana plugs. Get the gold type that doesn't require soldering (they have both types).

You may find that your speakers won't take banana plugs, in which case bare wire will do on that end.

Make sure you get the polarity right (one wire on the cable is marked with lettering) so red on the receiver is connected to red on the speaker.

6. Matt Krapf

Matt Krapf Stunt Coordinator

It's absolutely true that 12Gauge is cheap, and so are other gauges. Just to put some context in what you buy...

The thicker the gauge(lower the number), the less resistance and likely distortion or other negative impact to performance over long runs of cable.

You will readily find and should not use anything thinner than 16ga wire, and bear in mind that wire thicker than 12ga can be stiffer or (at least) unwieldy if you're trying to run cables through tight corners or small spaces. It goes without saying that thicker wire...being thicker...is harder to make "disappear" under carpeting without a noticeable hump.

Good luck, and enjoy the hunt for the right gear.

7. Ronald C

Ronald C Auditioning

I am a custom A/V installer, and I have found that 16 gauge speaker wire is fine for most applications. As a rule of thumb, for longer runs of wire, use thicker wire(14-12ga). But for closer runs, 16 ga wire is fine. As others have mentioned, I would not use any wire that is greater than 16ga. 16 gauge wire is usually more economically priced than 12 or 14 gauge wire, but if you can get 14 or 12 gauge for roughly the same price, than go with that. I hope this helps!

8. Jedd

Jedd Second Unit

since 12 gauge is 0.30 per foot I got 60 feet of it

I found that I dont really need plugs for the speakers - you can put wire in a small hole and tighten it in with those golden screws, so no problem here.

From the other hand connecting wires to the receiver is real pain in the ass, terminals sit too close to each other and holes in them look at one o'clock, so the black wire have to be shorter then red one to fit in.

9. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

jedd, that's exactly why banana plugs are SO handy to access the tightly-packed amp's binding posts. Radio Shack Gold banana plugs twist n crimp are fine.

10. Timothy_A.

Timothy_A. Agent

Hi. Any advice on how to make 12 or 14g bare wire fit into a spring clip terminal? I pulled about 1/2" insulation off the wire and twist it tight but it seems to have difficulty going in the clip hole and the tight twist becomes a mini- brillo pad ; ) I notice some wires have a solder coating at the end to make them effectively one wire. What is the simple approach to doing that?

Thanks!

11. Mike Matheson

Mike Matheson Second Unit

Radio Shack should have some "pin"-type terminators somewhere around where their banana plugs are displayed in the store. These can work for spring clip terminals.

12. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    You can pull out some of the outer strands and trim them with some side cutters.

Regards,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

13. Timothy_A.

Timothy_A. Agent

Good suggestions. Thanks.