--Need help with SVS decision--

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Rob E, Jan 12, 2004.

1. Rob E

Rob E Extra

Before I ask SVS I thought I would ask you guys first, I have a 1500 cub ft. room and my 2 choices of subs are not even close in comparison to the other- the pci 25-31 and the pb2+. Money is somewhat of an issue but not much. Room is not an issue as well. I listen to 70/30 music/HT, and I love techno music which has alot of deep bass tracks. Basically I just want to know if the pci will pound me in the chest, or is it worth the upgrade to the pb2+. Furthermore in my size room do you think the pb2+ will be overkill for HT?

2. Keith Hyde

Keith Hyde Stunt Coordinator

No help here - more a waste of your time - but I have a PB2+ on order and am VERY excited about it. I also have the same listening interests as you - 70/30 is fair. But both are equally important. Check back in two weeks and I can tell you more firsthand. I can't WAIT for that LFE. Yahoo!

3. Jeffrey Forner

Jeffrey Forner Screenwriter

Rob;

My guess is that a 25-31PCi will provide enough bass for a room of that size. I had a 16-46PC with the improved standard driver in a room of about that size and it was plenty loud for both music and movies. I suppose if you want to future-proof the sub, you should go with the PB2 Plus.

While we're on the subject, have you thought about picking up a 25-31PC Plus at all? It's not as expensive as the PB2 Plus, but it will definitely be more powerful than the PCi model. If you're concerned about straining the sub but can't quite afford the PB2 Plus, the 25-31PC Plus might be a good compromise.

4. Roger Q

Roger Q Stunt Coordinator

You may even want to consider the PC-Ultra. It'll provide good extension and probably more SPL than you'll need.

5. JohnnyN

JohnnyN Stunt Coordinator

heh. I see this a lot about future proofing... I made the decision to get the PB1-ISD today... it'll be more than enough for my soon to be 13x14 enclosed theater... if I ever move and need more base for a bigger room, I'll just move my PB1-ISD to another room and get a new sub for the bigger room. [​IMG] Imagine that, me having two SVS... I think it's a very strong possibility... [​IMG] so there's my 2 cents, get what you need for now and worry about the future when it arrives. [​IMG]

6. WayneO

WayneO Supporting Actor

Rob,

If your a little younger, I know how expectations of bass levels can be much higher than what some people here think, sorry old people! If your older, my apologies, stay young! And if you enjoy club-like level of slam, the PB2-ISD or "+" would be awesome and fit your need. Mind you, no average HT sub will get you that club level, but these will put you in the ballpark. You have a pretty small room so I'd make sure you would have space by double checking the measurements and your placement options. Otherwise I'd get PC+ or Ultra cylinder.

7. Robert Hoffman

Robert Hoffman Stunt Coordinator

I just placed a PC+ 25-31 in a room somewhat smaller than the one you described. Needless to say, I have plenty of headroom [​IMG] There is quite a price difference between the the PCI 25-31 and the PB2+ with plenty of options in between. My guess is that if you're willing to spend for the PB2+, why not upgrade from the PCI and go with a PC+ 20-39 (or just get the pB2+). With either of the + options, you'll have plenty of headroom to crank it up for some thumpy bass. The SVS guys could tell you better, but I think for a given volume level (calibrated properly), you probably don't need the extra power from the PB2+.

8. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

Rob, I would email the SVS guys and discuss your needs with them. They are helpful, friendly, and very good at reccommending the right sub for you. They helped me out a lot when I recently ordered a sub from them (the 20-39 PC+).