Need help with subwoofer

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rich Satterlee, Dec 26, 2001.

1. Rich Satterlee

Rich Satterlee Auditioning

First, I know NOTHING about speakers.

I received a Jensen HT805 for Xmas as I just wanted a basic system to hook up in my living room for surround sound.

I have a receiver without the "subwoofer output" jack that it mentions in the speaker manual. My questions is this: Do I need to brave the malls today to buy a new receiver with a "Subwoofer output" jack OR can the subwooker be hooked with speaker cable in the Speaker Input/red and black clips?

Sorry, like I said I don't know anything about this stuff.

Any help would be appriciated. Thanks.

2. David Cohn

David Cohn Extra

You can most certainly use your current receiver even without a dedicated subwoofer output.

Simply run speaker wire from the receiver to the subwoofer's 'in' connections. Then, run more speaker wire from the subwooder's 'out' jacks to the speakers.

Use the subwoofer's internal crossover to send high-pass signals on to the front speakers ... this lets the subwoofer handle the low frequencies.

Without additional information, I would recommend you start with a crossover setting of 80hz. Work the crossover upwards until you get results you like ... experimentation is half the fun!

Of course, if you can swing it you really should get a receiver with a dedicated sub out connection. Then, the receiver does not have to deal with watt-hungry low frequencies ... they are already filtered out and sent to the sub over an RCA cable. Your front speakers simply receiver the higher frequencies.

3. Mike_A

Mike_A Stunt Coordinator

David is right except for one minor thing. i believe the subwoofer will provide very high impedance to the amp at the lower frequencies that are filtered out. this will prevent the sub from drawing any significant power from your receiver at those filtered frequencies.