Need help with speaker placement in a cluttered room

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Marcel_A, Nov 28, 2003.

1. Marcel_A

Marcel_A Auditioning

Nov 23, 2003
    OK... I have a room that is quite full. I live with 3 roommates in this house, so the room is gonna stay more or less as is. I want to try to squeeze in a HT for myself in there though...

I have made an image (which these forums will not let me link to?) at (put a few w's in front of that link) with the 3 speaker options. As you can see, there are 2 sofas and one love seat I need to work around... the corners of the room are in use, so I can't put speakers there. The fronts will have to be next to the TV.

The rears though could be in A on a stand, or at B or C mounted on the wall. I don't have much experience in this, but I'm thinking the ideal placement would be dipole (sp?) surrounds at position A (on stands). That way people in all positions would at least get moderate surround sound, and the people in the middle (which would be me in most cases, hehe) would get good surround. Would wall mounting at B or C be better though? It'd have to be above the height of the sofas though.

Also, are dipole speakers a good idea for this setup? Would it be better to maybe go with cheaper regular speakers? I'm going with paradigm, so I could get atom bookshelf speakers for less cash than a pair of their dipole ones... I guess I'm wondering if the extra money for the dipole would be wasted in this room.

Any other suggestions would be greatly apreciated.

2. Joseph Hoetzl

Nov 28, 2000
    I would say that if you want "true" 5.1 in THX fashion, your rears should match your fronts and be slightly higher, in position C. But yes, those Paradigm Surrounds (170's?) are nice, but they wouldn't be the same as the Atom's.

If you go Atom, I would put them more towards A, maybe even pointing them at a slight angle towards the TV?

However, you mention you are cramped, so wall mounting would avoid further clutter.

The problem with C, is that the people in those couches might get an earful at times if you don't keep them high enough.

Have a look here for a small cramped rear setup... (on the left, look at surrounds).

The setup isn't perfect, but we enjoy it...