What's new

Need help with speaker connections (1 Viewer)

blu87

Auditioning
Real Name
Mike Smythe
I apologize for any poor terminology.

I recently acquired two used speakers (for free) that I'd like to use with my stereo system but there's a problem with the wires. The stereo only accepts speakers that have an RCA plug on them. The speakers use speaker wire with one side negative and the other positive. Is there a way I can somehow convert the negative and positive speaker wires into a single RCA plug?

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
You can take an old RCA cable and cut off one end. Use the wire connected to the center pin as the positive and the other as negative. Or you can use speaker wire and solder on an RCA male plug. RCA plugs are available from Parts Express and dozens of other retailers.

Is this receiver a home theater in a box or just so old that it uses RCA connections for speakers? I haven't seen speaker RCA connections since the 80's.

-Robert

blu87

Auditioning
Real Name
Mike Smythe
Thanks. I just happen to have an RCA cable that had one end torn off after my mother ran over it with a vacuum cleaner years ago. :laugh: So I can use that.

I think my receiver is more of a mini system, I guess. It has the tuner, receiver, cassette deck, and turntable all in one unit. It's probably from the late 80's or early 90's. I honestly can't afford to buy most electronic equipment. My father gets stuff from the junkyard and brings it home, so my mini system and speakers were all free. They work really well and I'm pleased with them, and that's really all that matters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RAR
Recent bookmarks