What's new

need help with sony sawx700 (1 Viewer)

nic durham

Auditioning
hey guys. new to the board and was directed here for help with my problem. i just bought the sony sawx700 and i got it home and nothing. i plugged it in. powered down my receiver and then powered everything on and no sound. my old sub works fine but nothing from the sony. its a kenwood receiver. i already talked with the sony online help but they didnt help. they said to try a new cable. why would a cable matter. worked on the old not the new? oh well. thanks for any help .

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
What are you plugging the line level into? Does it have a dual/stereo input or mono? A new cable shouldn't make any difference if it works with the old one.

I couldn't find the manual or any pics of the inputs.

nic durham

Auditioning
i found the manual on sonys website. it has line outs and ins for speaker wire. also has a line out and in for subs. im thinking of getting a new receiver and trying that out. but it should be working.

Jimi C

Screenwriter
If your old sub works with the Kenwood, the new one should also. I would triple check my connections and if you still get nothing return it and buy a Dayton 10" from partsexpress. It will blow the Sony out of the water, even if it was working.

Adil M

Supporting Actor
Out of curiousity, Jimi, have you heard the Sony or are you going by manufacturer specs?
Doesn't the Sony have 2 10's and lots of power?

Jimi C

Screenwriter
I have not heard that particular model, but i have listened to a few sony subs and they sounded quite boomy. Just my 2 cents.

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
The SA-WX700 uses 2-10's and the (to be released) SA-WX900 uses 2-12's. Both subs are "Sonys varient" on a dual driver Push Pull Vented Design.

The 700 to this point is most likely the best sounding sub they have produced. A good sounding/performing sub, well thats up to the owner/listener..

At the 200.00 or even less for a New one that many have found it at, decent sub certainly and alot of user/reveiws say this. But "not all users/owners" have heard a high performance sub, so to them anything that goes boom an is loud is very impressive..;)

The new SA-WX900 runs a 1000-watt digital on board Amp rated 20-200 @ 0.8% THD, and wieghs in at around 100 to 115-lbs.
It's stated operating FR is 18-200-Hz according to Sony.
Cabinet measures:
W-17.3" x H-21" x D-24.4"

You can see some basic information on the Sony SA-WX900 **HERE** if you like...
Sony USA dose NOT even have the sub up for a look at it's specifications. Tho a few USA Inet stores (B&H Photo & others) have it listed, but not in stock..Information/spec's on the 900 at these sites is very very limited & or just not their.

The Sony 900 sub is not even available (in stock) in the US yet as far as I know. List is 529.00 or their abouts, so should be able to be found for at least 150.00 or so less once available, if one looks hard enough on-line.

Nic:
It's unfortunant that your Sony-700 is not fuctioning out of the box. I'd return it for a replacement and or look to a different unit/sub.
If it has a fuse located on the amp, either outside or inside, I'd check that out if everything else suggested has failed.

If it powers up it, could be as simple as one or more of the speaker wires coming off on one of the driver terminals. Hard to say, if your sub cable works with the other sub using the Kenwood, it should work on the Sony sub. Obviously something is wrong somewhere with he Sony.

You might try using the speaker level inputs as a test to see if you get sound that way.

Is the Sony-700 NEW or Used????

I hope your able to find the problem with the sub and if not either get a replacement & or find another sub that interests you.

Regards
Geoff ¥

nic durham

Auditioning
i work for circuit city and they closed our store down. so they had a large sale and i was able to pick it up with our warranty for 100 even. i thought it wasnt a bad deal considering the warranty is till 2015. lol. i dont know much about speakers so im scared to open it up myself. i may just return it for service. i know that they wont just give me another one. theyd be stupid too. it was a demo unit but it was one that wasnt plugged in. was never called for the be plugged in. ill see. im in a city where a circuit city is so ill try to take a look at it tomorrow.

yes it does power up and i hear a click but nothing else happens. ive tried it now on a kenwood receiver, a sony 5.1 and a sony 7.1 system. nothing.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Well, for a hundred bones, I'm sure it was a good deal. Since you've got the warranty, I'd find out where you can take it to get it serviced; it may be a known problem. You can also try www.agoraquest.com to see if others may have similar problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation661
Recent bookmarks