What's new

Need Help With Setup For Sub WIth Yamaha RX-V 863... PLEASE!!! (1 Viewer)

BCaccessMatt

Auditioning
Real Name
Matt
Hi everyone... I am new to the forum and glad that I found it!

I just recently sent my sub back ( EMP-10 ) thinking that I was having issues with it and it was internal. After doing some more research and reading some DIY threads I am not so sure. I am having a tough time though figuring out exactly what settings to start with though. I have played with this before and it seems to have gotten me nowhere.

My sub was hooked up via RCA to my receiver. All speakers set to small. LFE set to control the bass. Crossover on the sub was set at max (although LFE connection supposedly bypasses crossover on sub, so by doing this I do not know what this is accomplishing) Phase is set at 0. Bass Db level is up to try and attain a better signal out of the receiver to the sub. ( did not seem to be working )

I am at a loss and just spent $95 to send this thing back to EMP and I am not even sure there is something wrong with this thing!

I would appreciate any help!

Cheers,
Matt

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Great explanation on how things were connected and configured. What was your problem? No sound? Not loud enough? Not playing the low bass parts? Odd sounds?

BCaccessMatt

Auditioning
Real Name
Matt
Robert,

I have been having a few problems... One is the signal to the sub. I have noticed on more than one occasion that I will be watching TV/Movie or otherwise and there will be little or no response from the sub then all of a sudden the sub will kick in and it will be like listening to a whole new system. Other times I am getting a muffled less distinguished sound from the sub. For the most part it is just not responsive. I have two settings on my reciever that start at O db and move to -20 one is for headphone and the other is for ? (can't think of it right now) I have not played with them thinking that they had nothing to do with the sub. But I read somewhere yesterday that I should set something to -5 db in regards to the sub? Right now I have my db level set fairly high out to the sub to try and make up for what I thought was a poor signal going out to the sub from the receiver. I do not have a switch to bypass the auto on/off on my sub unfortunately so that is not an option for me.

There are no odd sounds, and I have it in a fairly small living room. It is set in a corner (fairly good placement) so it should be delivering a good amount of kick and it has in the past...

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
1. Get a Y adapter and feed your LFE output to both inputs on the sub. I've said many times that this isn't needed but with they thousands of variations of equipment you can't be sure. And it is only a $2 or $3 test.
2. Boost the LFE output on the receiver. Turn down the sub amp's level to make sure the sub's sound output stays the same.
3. Make sure your receiver doesn't have some type of night time mode or dynamic compression turned on.

BCaccessMatt

Auditioning
Real Name
Matt
Robert~

I will try that.

A few things though...

1. Am I still only hooking up the single RCA connection to the sub in on the back of the receiver? I will need to look into that more, I want to make sure it will not damage the sub. I know that by connecting my sub via RCA I am bypassing the crossover. I do not know if I will be circumventing some sort of short cut and powering the sub with the built in amp and the receiver at the same time?
2. How do I boost the LFE output on the receiver? Would that be by increasing the Db level of the bass to the sub?
3. The only adjustments I have on my sub are for the crossover and for volume. I do not have adjustment to control the amps power.
4. What does turning off the Dynamic Compression do? I think I have it set to auto right now...

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
You will just split your LFE cable into 2 with the Y and plug those into the L & R inputs beside your LFE input. Don't use the LFE input. Most subs don't have an LFE input so we use the standard L&R inputs like you will use. Doesn't hurt anything. Just turn the crossover on the sub up as high as it will go.

Yes, boosting the Db level to the sub. You think of it as sound. Until it reaches the speaker, it is voltage. You don't have enough voltage to keep your sub turned on. This will give it more voltage.

The volume control on the sub will lower the sound. Increasing the voltage to the sub will make it play louder. You don't want it louder, you just want it to stay on. Turn the volume control down until the sub is as loud as it was before. It is preferable to use an SPL meter for accurate readings.

Dynamic Compression "compresses" the sound. The loud parts aren't as loud. The quiet parts aren't as quiet. We encourage everyone to watch and listen as the film maker intended. This changes the sound.

BCaccessMatt

Auditioning
Real Name
Matt
Robert~

Thanks for all the help you have provided an enormous amount of info that was very easy for me to understand as a newbie. I still have some more questions and I will be sure to hit you up as they come. I have been thinking about building a sub actually...

Again, thanks for the help!!!

Cheers,
Matt

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lucrin
Recent bookmarks