Need Help with SCSI

Discussion in 'Computers' started by PhilipW, Apr 15, 2003.

1. PhilipW

PhilipW Second Unit

I need to be able to control a scsi scanner from 2 computers. Is there a scsi "switch" like the old parallel or serial switch where you have 2 computers that can control 1 scanner.

This can not be done in a chain as one of the computers is a high dollar rip computer that we cannot add software to or warranty voided. We'd like to be able to load the regular scanning software on another computer and hook both computers into a switch that would then access the scanner.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. Tekara

Tekara Supporting Actor

are the two computers networked together or on the same network so that they can see eachother?

the best bet that comes into my mind is that if they are networked you can just share the scanner and let the other computer access it over the network. I have a similar setup with a printer/scanner at my house.

outside of this I'm not really sure what can be done. you could try a switch, though I have never heard of such a thing for SCSI (not to say it doesn't exist).

3. PhilipW

PhilipW Second Unit

They are networked together on a peer to peer system however, I can't seem to find the scanner.

4. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

Yes, the switches do exist, but don't ask me where you can find one.

As the cable run lengths cannot be that long anyway, can you have the computer that the scanner is attached to scan the page and then transfer the page over to the other PC?

Also, if you are using XP their network properties just don't allow you to share the scanner as in previous OS's. I'm sure some SCSI expert will chime in tomorrow and tell you how to do it.

Glenn

5. PhilipW

PhilipW Second Unit