What's new

Need Help with SCSI (1 Viewer)

PhilipW

Second Unit
I need to be able to control a scsi scanner from 2 computers. Is there a scsi "switch" like the old parallel or serial switch where you have 2 computers that can control 1 scanner.

This can not be done in a chain as one of the computers is a high dollar rip computer that we cannot add software to or warranty voided. We'd like to be able to load the regular scanning software on another computer and hook both computers into a switch that would then access the scanner.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Tekara

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
are the two computers networked together or on the same network so that they can see eachother?

the best bet that comes into my mind is that if they are networked you can just share the scanner and let the other computer access it over the network. I have a similar setup with a printer/scanner at my house.

outside of this I'm not really sure what can be done. you could try a switch, though I have never heard of such a thing for SCSI (not to say it doesn't exist).

PhilipW

Second Unit
They are networked together on a peer to peer system however, I can't seem to find the scanner.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Yes, the switches do exist, but don't ask me where you can find one.

As the cable run lengths cannot be that long anyway, can you have the computer that the scanner is attached to scan the page and then transfer the page over to the other PC?

Also, if you are using XP their network properties just don't allow you to share the scanner as in previous OS's. I'm sure some SCSI expert will chime in tomorrow and tell you how to do it.

Glenn

PhilipW

Second Unit
can you have the computer that the scanner is attached to scan the page and then transfer the page over to the other PC?
Yes. However the software driving the scanner is for a (printing presses) platemaker and isn't designed for doing high quality color photo scans. No access to change dpi or color. Does not use the scanner software.

The computer the scanner is connected to is a NT machine and mine is using 2000 Professional.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks