What's new

Need Help with SACD hook-up (1 Viewer)

Bonnie R

Auditioning
Good Morning;I am very knew when it comes to home theater.I don’t know how to hook up my SACD player to my HK AVR510.The back of the panel of the HK has 6-Channel Direct Inputs.Is this the area that I put the cables from the SACD into? Do I also use the Input in the same section for a subwoofer cable.I already have my subwoofer cable hooked into the pre-out marked subwoofer since I have a Velodyne CHT15 powered sub.

FeisalK

Screenwriter
Bonnie - welcome to HTF!

yes hook up 6 outputs from the SACD to the 6 direct inputs on the HK. one of the 6 will be a sub out from the SACD thats supposed to go into the sub-in on the HK along with the front L/R, surround L/R and Center.

take a peek here at post #89
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...22#post1800722
thats the hirez FAQ

The sub pre-out, as you described, is correctly connected to the Velo

Bonnie R

Auditioning
Thank you so much...One last question though.I forgot to mention that the SACD player has 2 other outputs which are beside the 5.1 CH out outputs.They are marked as 2CH out.Do I hook a set of cables in this output as well and then connect the other ends to the CD input of the receiver? Sorry but I am quite new and really need a little help.What I couldn't understand is why would the 5.1 cables and the 2CH cables both be hooked up? So if I put 5 cds in the player,some SACD some not,would the player distinguish which is which?Thanks again.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
You didn't say which SACD player - that info might be helpful in getting you the most useful answer. The 2ch inputs would be used for regular CDs, as there is no bass management on your multi-channel inputs on your receiver, so all redbook CDs would be full range, unless your player has it's own bass management. When using the stereo output from the SACD your receiver will handle bass management so that your sub is utilized correctly.

Yes.

FeisalK

Screenwriter
John, it sounds like Bonnie has the 5disc Sony changer (can't remember model number, 565 or something?)

Yes, and as John said the player would distinguish which was which BUT you would have to manually choose on the receiver which input you would be listening to - either 6-ch direct or the CD input.

You would still get sound if you were listening to CDs on the 6-ch direct, but without bass management there'll be no sound coming out from the sub (because there is only sound on the front L/R channels of the 6-ch in). This would not be a problem if your speakers were full range, but I think CDs would be better thru the CD input even so.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The 775 does have basic bass management, but it is not as good as what the receiver is capable of and I am pretty sure it is applied only to SACDs. I have a 222ES which is the same generation and I believe it works the same way, so for regular CDs, you would want to use the stereo analog or digital connection.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks