Need help with running wires up a wall

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Frank Stevens, Jul 8, 2001.

1. Frank Stevens

Frank Stevens Auditioning

Putting my computer obsession on hold, I just put together my home theater system. Its composed of a Sony STR-DE875 Receiver, DVP-NS400D DVD, and SA-VE525 6-piece speaker system. Problem is, I'm mounting the rear speakers to the wall behind the couch and I would like it if I didn't have wires running up the wall. Is it possible to punch a hole in the top of the wall, drop a line down and fish it out a hole at the bottom? Am I going to run into studs running horizontally? Its a fairly new condo, so I don't have an attic or a crawlspace to fish the wires down.
    thanks for the help!
    Frank

2. Jon_Are

Jon_Are Cinematographer

Frank,
    Do just as you described, using electrician's 'fish tape'. First, though, get an electronic stud finder and determine if there are horizontal studs. Also, this will be a bit more difficult if it is an insulated wall.
    You might want to go to doityourself.com, a home handyman forum. Wander into the electrical forum and ask away; lots of helpful people over there.
    Good luck,
    Jon
    ------------------
    "This one goes to eleven." (Nigel Tufnel)

3. Jonathan_M

Jonathan_M Stunt Coordinator

I saw something on TV the other day that might help. First, do as the previous poster said and determine if you have any horizonal studs in your way. If you don't, punch a hole at your speaker location, then punch another at the base of the wall for the wire to come out. Into the top hole, feed a length of chain, the kind used for ceiling fan switch pull chains into the top hole being sure it's longer than the distance between your top and bottom holes. Next, use a magnet to guide the bottom end of the chain out through the bottom hole. When you get it, use the chain to pull your wire up through the wall.
    Hope this helps.
    -Jonathan
    ------------------
    "We're hosed. We lost the remote."

4. JimHal

JimHal Stunt Coordinator

When I wired my home, I used a heavy fishing lead sinker. I used a hammer to pound it into a pencil shape. Tied it to some fishing line and dropped it down the hole in the top of the wall.
    This worked well since my wall is insulated. The sinker was heavy enough to pass down the wall between the vapour barrier and drywall. When it did "stick" I just tapped the wall with my had to free it up.

5. ace peterson

ace peterson Second Unit

I seriously doubt you'll find any horizontal things in your wall. Insulation, yes, especially if it's on an outside wall. The best way to do it is just like the first reply here says... Get some fish tape. It only costs like $15 at the home improvement store. It will be the best $15 you ever spent, as it comes in handy for sooo many things. Saw a little hole behind where you want to mount your speakers. You'll want to know where your studs are first of course. Then saw a little hole directly underneath that one (down by or beneath the base trim). Then just fish that line either up or down whatever is easiest for you.
    IF you DO happen to hit a horizontal stud, you'll have to cut another hole at the spot where you're hitting. Then chisel out just enough room in that horizontal stud where you can pass wire through it. Then you'll have to do a little drywall repair. That's pretty simple and they sell little kits for like $5 for that.
    Good luck!
    Ace

6. JimHal

JimHal Stunt Coordinator

Lead sinker - 25 cents. Cheap as it gets.

7. KenA

KenA Stunt Coordinator

Ken Appell

8. JerryHatchett

JerryHatchett Stunt Coordinator

The best tool I ever bought for running wires was a FlexBit. They come in various lengths, but they're very long drill bits made for running wire. The end of the bit (the sharp end) has a hole in it. After you drill through, you tie either your wire to it or a pull string, and voila, you have it made.
    For example, if you want to run wires through the attic and down the walls, you simply cut a small hole where you want the wire to come out, stick the FlexBit in the hole (you can get 'em up to 6' long or maybe even longer), feel around for the top plate, and then drill right through it. Go to the attic, tie your wire or pull string through the hole in the end of the bit, and pull her back out. The bits are slightly flexible for maneuvering around inside walls, hence their name.
    You must of course use common sense and be sure that you're not drilling near existing wires, etc. [​IMG]
    A good one will cost you $50-75 and they can be bought from supply houses that sell to AV installers, alarm installers, etc.
    Jerry