need help with replacing faceplate

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by andrew==opus, Mar 10, 2003.

1. andrew==opus

andrew==opus Auditioning

I just got a new faceplate for my Kenwood VR-507. The old one was badly smudged by service techs. Just to be clear, we're talking about the smoked plastic covering the display.

Anyway, I don't know how to get the old one off. Looking at the new one, it looks like it just clips on. I've tried pulling on the old one, but I don't want to break anything. Any advice? Do you think I'll have to take off the outside cover? How much is there to taking the cover off and on?

Thanks.

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Andrew, the first thing that would occur to me is to call Kenwood's service number and ask to speak with a qualified person.

I once replaced a faceplate on a Marantz preamplifier (before your time, a classic stereophonic unit). It was made of brushed, gold-anodized aluminum (very pretty). I had to disconnect all knobs and sliding-control handles individually and then remove the cosmectically damaged faceplate and reverse the process after sliding on the replacement. That was then.

Always, when in doubt, call the manufacturer.

3. andrew==opus

andrew==opus Auditioning

Thanks. I didn't think to ask them about parts replacement. Figured they were kind of a troubleshooter only.