Need Help with Receiver Upgrade-Onk 898, Den 4802, or shrwd 963

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JimH, Aug 24, 2001.

1. JimH

JimH Auditioning

I have narrowed my choice to these three receivers. Can anyone help with the issue of 192 vs 94 DAC's? The receivers are very comparable in most other aspects, including cost, but differ significantly by the DAC's (similar high bandwidth component switching, full complement of DPL II, etc., multi-room and so forth.) Also, the Sherwood will upconvert any PCM signal to 192.
    Will the sound fidelity be relatively "weaker" on the Denon 4802 since it is only 94hz? The Denon was my original choice (I have had an excellent history with their products--though I don't understand why they don't provide front panel hookup for at least S-video and composite--note the Sherwood even provides a digital front panel hookup. This would make for much easier processing for a camcorder, game devices, etc.). I use the setup at about 70% film/ 30% music and am using Carver's discontinued 5.2 speaker system--with an a Sony ES receiver as a pre-amp and a Caver 705 as the driving amp. BTW, I am trying to stay under $2,000,hence I cannot go after the soon to be released Pioneer Elite 49 model, nor the higher end Onkyo Integra's, Denon's etc. and I do want a receiver that provides for dual center surround amplification (hence the new Sony ES line won't work.) I have decided to go the receiver only route so am no longer considering a solution like that soon to be available from Outlaw (pre-amp/amp.) Thanks for any help.

2. Jay_E

Jay_E Stunt Coordinator

I spoke with Jeff Hipps of Sherwood a few days ago and one advantage of the Sherwood is that it has bass management for DVD-A through it's analog inputs.

3. JimH

JimH Auditioning

Thanks for the additional info--it will be difficult to decide among these receivers, though I am leaning to the Sherwood. Actually, they are all very capable options so I shouldn't belabor the choice. Thanks again. The Sherwood is, off course, not as widely sold but I do have an authorized dealer in town. If he does discount some from list I may just purchase from him. However, Rochester is right in the middle of the current B&M versus internet battle and the four high-end stereo shops in town all have specialized in different brands (i.e., one shop sells B&K, Rotel, Marantz, another Pioneer Elite, Admcom, Sony ES, etc., with one or two other stores selling only very expensive esoteric brands. Hence, none of the vendors in town have to compete with each other and they stay right at list. I would love to support them but the difference between interent prices and their offers are often 20-40%. This issue is going to come to a head and I would have to see all of the locals go, these are a quite informed group but they will have to compete at least some in prices. I could see the local stores competing better on prices and offering installation services, etc., to make their money. Who knows, I don't want to be greedy just for some simple, small price difference, but when it comes to $300-500 per item I must question the real payoff.

4. JaleelK

JaleelK Second Unit

I have narrowed my choice to these three receivers. Can anyone help with the issue of 192 vs 94 DAC's?>>>>>>
    Don't even worry about 94 vs 192, you will not be able to detect audible difference between them.You would be hard pressed to detect differences between 192khz and 44 khz DAC's. The whole 24bit/96-192khz DAC thing in home theater and audio is a lot of hype, the vast vast majority of the people that this stuff is being marketed to don't have systems cable of this type of resolution anyway.
    The receivers are very comparable in most other aspects, including cost, but differ significantly by the DAC's (similar high bandwidth component switching, full complement of DPL II, etc., multi-room and so forth.) Also, the Sherwood will upconvert any PCM signal to 192.>>>
    That's nothing more than marketing hype coming from Sherwood.
    Will the sound fidelity be relatively "weaker" on the Denon 4802 since it is only 94hz?>>>>
    It would sound no different if it was 192
    The Denon was my original choice (I have had an excellent history with their products--though I don't understand why they don't provide front panel hookup for at least S-video and composite--note the Sherwood even provides a digital front panel hookup. This would make for much easier processing for a camcorder, game devices, etc.). I use the setup at about 70% film/ 30% music and am using Carver's discontinued 5.2 speaker system--with an a Sony ES receiver as a pre-amp and a Caver 705 as the driving amp. BTW, I am trying to stay under $2,000,hence I cannot go after the soon to be released Pioneer Elite 49 model, nor the higher end Onkyo Integra's, Denon's etc. and I do want a receiver that provides for dual center surround amplification (hence the new Sony ES line won't work.) I have decided to go the receiver only route so am no longer considering a solution like that soon to be available from Outlaw (pre-amp/amp.) Thanks for any help.>>>
    I think you should go with the 4802, its seems to me like a no-brainer for you. It has everying thing you need and more. If the 4802 is as good as the 4800, you will not go wrong. The 4800 was such an excellent receiver it was featured on the front cover of Stereophile(not Stereophile Guide to Home Theater), which is a high-end audio publications, they rated it as the "receiver of the year" when it came out last year.