Need help with receiver decision

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rob Andersen, Nov 27, 2001.

1. Rob Andersen

Rob Andersen Auditioning

Well, this is my first post here but I've already spent hours reading through the board.

I am working on putting together a mid range HT system and need some advice on the receiver. I have narrowed it down to the Onkyo 595, Denon 1802 or the HK 220. I am leaning towards the Onkyo after reading others experiences but I think the Denon may have more features for the money. It will be used 50/50 for movies/music so good 2 channel stereo sound is a big concern. I also like that the Denon has A/B main speaker outputs, while it appears the others do not. Also, do all these receivers have independent level controls for each speaker output? I only saw that listed in the Denon spec's.

Any advice or thought on which receiver would be best will be appreciated.

Thanks for the help,

Rob

2. Haywood

Haywood Stunt Coordinator

I vote for the Denon. I believe that model even has pre-outs. I have the Denon 1602 and its great, clean power what a difference. Good stereo and HT sound. The Onyko is good but I prefer the Denon look and sound. Yes they all have independent level controls.
    Later Haywood [​IMG]

3. RyanDinan

RyanDinan Stunt Coordinator

Rob,

I'd probably go for the Denon as well, but there are other things to consider -

Different receivers sound better/worse on different speakers. It's a good idea to audition a receiver with your speakers to determine if you like the resulting sound.

For example, an Onkyo receiver tends to be a bit brighter than a Denon. If your speakers tend to be more warm-sounding, you may want to avoid the Denon, and get the Onkyo to balance them out.

Just something to think about.

-Ryan Dinan

4. Rob Andersen

Rob Andersen Auditioning

Thanks for the info guys. Anyone else with any thoughts on which of these would be the better receiver? Thanks again.