What's new

Need help with receiver connections (1 Viewer)

Jack Sampson

Stunt Coordinator
I'm trying to figure out the best way to connect the following devices. Sony 32" tv (1 audio out, 2 video inputs), Dish Network DVR (1 video out), Onkyo TX SR573 Reciver (more input/output connectors than I'll ever need), Sony DVD (Line out). Right now I am using rca type cables on all components. It works but I have to use several different remotes. Also I have to switch input sources from the tv. You have to push a button on the remote called input and it will cycle through vid1, vid2 and I am guessing antenna source. First how can I eliminate the need to cycle through the different sources? And second when I do go to the antenna input the sound is much louder than than the other sources. I want all sources to be loud. Finally I've programmed the different remotes but still don't have all functionality with just one. Is this not acheivable? Thanks for any help....

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Hi Jack.

First - A Logitech Harmony remote can switch everything with 1 button push and the 688 even has DVR buttons which most universal remotes do not have.

Here is what I would suggest for your system:

SVideo from Dish DVR to "TV" input on the Onkyo reciever.
Optical from DVR to "TV" input on Onkyo.

SVideo from the DVD player to "DVD" input on Onkyo reciever.
Optical or coaxial from the DVD player to the "DVD" input on Onkyo reciever.

SVideo from Onkyo video output to TV.

Thats it.

You must ALWAYS turn on the Onkyo reciever to watch anything. The TV remains locked on the SVideo input from the Onkyo. The Onkyo remote toggles between Dish and DVD player with it's remote.

This makes the system easy to use because you never have to move the TV input to anything and the Onkyo remote controls all volume. The only TV functions you need are ON/OFF.

The Harmony remote is still recommended.

Hope this helps.

Jack Sampson

Stunt Coordinator
Bob thanks for the suggestions. I think I'll hold off on the remote for now. The Onkyo remote seems to do everything I need if I could just get the system set up like you said. So I guess I'm gonna need some new cables at the minimum right? I am using the rca type right now (yellow, red, white)for all connections. I have S-video but didn't know how to incorporate them. I'll look for some optical cables. I hope they are not outragously expensive.

Jack Sampson

Stunt Coordinator
Well I did exactly like you suggested but it didn't work. Well at least I only spent $50 on cables.

Jack Sampson

Stunt Coordinator
Woooo Hoooo I finally got it. It was a little different than was stated here or in the freaken manual. I am using the a/v receiver as a switch so everything goes through it. It works great now. Thanks for all the help!!!:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks