Need help with receiver connections

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Jack Sampson, Mar 10, 2006.

1. Jack Sampson

Jack Sampson Stunt Coordinator

I bought a new receiver and need help connecting everything up. It's a real basic system consisting of a TV (old style, no HD, plasma, or lcd), Dish Network sat receiver, sony dvd player, and onkyo surround sound receiver. I got most of it connected but I can't hear any sound through the receiver only out of the tv. Can some one break it down step by step from the beginning?

PS I hope this is the right section. [​IMG]

2. Dick Knisely

Dick Knisely Second Unit

You need to tell us what connections (in and out) are available on each device.

3. Jack Sampson

The receiver is an Onkyo TX SR573S. I have regular sony tv with several video/audio outputs, a sony dvd player with the same outputs and a Dishnetwork satelite receiver. All outputs are standard rca cables. I have the ability to use s-video but don't really know much about them. Can someone just tell me how to hook everything up? There is really nothing new here I just don't know how the satelite receiver fits in. Thanks....

4. RickRO

RickRO Stunt Coordinator

Jack are you using the 573 as a switcher? if so then what you need to do is this.

DVD player highest quality output that your TV will except.

Highest: Component (since you dont have HD)
    Second: S-vid
    Third: composite

For Sound

Highest: TOSLINK or digital coax
    Next: RCA audio

Run the RCA cables both audio and video to the receiver. Do this for the sat box as well . You will need to be sure that you run both audio and video to the receiver and make sure that if you run dvd in the sound in goes to the DVD audio likewise for the sat box.

Run the video cables from your receivers OUTPUT to your TVs INPUT.

Do this and you will be able to use the 573 to switch between video sources.

hope this helps.

5. gene c

gene c Producer

Gene
    You may also have to "assign" your digital inputs so the receiver knows where you plugged in everything, such as dvd = coax 2, sat = optical 1, etc. You should use digital cables for sound. Toslink (optical) for the satelite, coaxial (looks like rca) for the dvd player. You'll have to read the owners manual as the procedure is different for different manufacturers.

6. Jack Sampson

Thanks guys... I figured it out kinda... The volume doesn't get very loud though. If I switch the input to regular antenna it is very loud but not when going through the dvd or sat. Any ideas why?

7. gene c

gene c Producer

Gene
    The only thing I can think of is the adjustable speaker levels in the receiver. Some avr's allow for different volume levels for each input. If you set the levels for the tuner, they may not transfer over to the dvd and sat. Each has to be adjusted individually. Hope this helps.

8. Jack Sampson

That was it!!! Thanks. The remotes on these things are incredibly complex. It took me a while to figure it out. Thanks again for all the help guys...

9. gene c

gene c Producer

Gene
    And believe it or not, Onkyo's are one of the easiest avr's to setup! Glad you got it up and running.