What's new

Need help with question plz (1 Viewer)

MattSherlock

Stunt Coordinator
I just purchased the Sony 5es 2 wks ago because I got tired of waiting for the Outlaw 950. Well wouldn't you know it, I just got my email telling me my name came up on the waiting list.
Here is the problem, I was going to buy an amp and use the Sony
as a preamp because while it is very good for movies, it really sucks for music. Problem is I only have about $1000 to spend, so I can't buy the 950 and amp, I can just buy the 950 but I can't afford to buy good amp for it presently.

My question is, can I buy the Outlaw 950 and use the amp on the
Sony 5es receiver to drive the speaker and if that is possible,
how would I hook it up.
thanks for any replies

Nick V

Second Unit
You should be able to plug the pre-outs from the Outlaw into the 7.1 channel input on the Sony receiver. Then, you would just always leave the sony receiver on 7.1 channel input and do all of your audio/video switching with the Outlaw.

That is, if that's what you really want to do...

I'd take a guess that you would get much better performance from keeping the Sony ES and buying a decent 3/5/7 channel amp. You could buy it used if you're short on cash.

MattSherlock

Stunt Coordinator
Well only reason I would do that is because if I purchase the 950, I really don't have the funds right now for a good 5 channel amp. If I buy the 950, I would defintely get a good amp in a month or so.

Are you saying that my 5es+amp will sound better than the 950+amp combo?

Nick V

Second Unit
No, I was saying that the 5es+good amp (money spent on amp instead of Outlaw 950)would sound better than using the 950+amps from the 5es. I have no experience with the Outlaw, so I can't tell you whether or not the 5es has better multichannel and/or two channel processing than the Outlaw. I doubt it though.

Maybe someone else can answer that question for you?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks