Need help with purchasing an amp.

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by trevorDO, Feb 9, 2006.

1. trevorDO

trevorDO Agent

I have a Yamaha RX-757 receiver, Polk Audio RTi6's & CSi5 for front speakers, Side surrounds are Polk Audio FXi3's and Polk Audio R15's for back surround. I was wanting to know what a good amp to get. I was thinking of a 5 channel or a 3 channel and 2 channel. I dont know anything about amps, what is a good one or what would be good for home theater. I was looking to spend around $1000. I would appreciate any help with this.

thanks,

Trevor

2. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

It's going to be difficult to get a new 5 channel amp under that budget. The Sherwood-Newcastle A965 is a 7 channel amp that typically goes for a little over what you're budget is or else you could look on the used market.

3. trevorDO

trevorDO Agent

What about an amp $1000-$2000?

Is it better to go with one amp for all speakers or with seperate amps like a 2 channel and a 3 channel amp?

4. Peter f

Peter f Stunt Coordinator

Trevor, For around 1500.00 check out the outlaw 7500 and other amps at outlawaudio.com, Its hard to beat thier performance for the cost.

I have had some expierience with my Yamaha RX-V795A and thier 5 channel and mono-block amps if you want more info feel free to PM me

5. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

Within that price range you've got a lot of options like...

1) Sherwood Newcastle A965
    2) Parsound 5125 or 5250
    3) Rotel's RMB1075
    4) Halo A52
    5) Arcam P1000
    6) Outlaw

and a bunch of others. Of that list I'm partial to the Halo's or Parasounds for a nice warm sound. The Sherwood and Outlaw are a little more open sounding if you prefer that sound.

6. Ron ceccam

Ron ceccam Auditioning

Hi all, I am new to these forums and like TrevorDo, I am thinking of moving from my Onkyo 898 receiver to seperate amps. Is there any major advantage going to one amp, say a 7:1 or more then one to drive different speakers in your system? I am looking at the Anthem series to enhance my setup which is..Paradigm reference 100 fronts, cc center, adp 470 rear and monitor 9 back rear. Thank you in advance for any input.

7. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

Ron it depends on the amps design. Optimally you'd run single channel mono blocks for each speaker so that there was absolutly no cross talk and each amp would function independantly for the other. While ideal that can get very expensive and honestly for most applications 7 monoblocks is overkill for theater applications. There are several amps that try to mimic the monoblock design by isolating that amp channels as much as possible but they typically share a common power source. The Sherwood A965 is an example of that concept as are the Earthquake Cinenova series (and many others). I'm not sure about the anthem as its not a line we carry but I know they very nice amps and will obviously suit your Paradigms well.

8. Ed+S

Ed+S Auditioning

If you have Paradigm Studio 100's you need a good amp to take full advantage of the speakers.

I have Paradigm Studio 100 V2 speakers and have an Aragon amp. It is wonderful. I recommend getting an 8 series Aragon for just the main 2 channels. One of these wonderful amps can be purchased used on audiogon.com for less than $1,000 ($2,500 list).[​IMG]