Need help with PSB speaker choices

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Daniel Mai, Oct 4, 2001.

1. Daniel Mai

Daniel Mai Stunt Coordinator

I'm looking at Image 1B,2B,3LR, or 4T as my mains. Anyone who owns any of these can give me some inputs. I listen to music about 30% of the time, so musical or full range sound quality is very important. But as you can see, I also have to take sizes of the speakers into consideration. Thanks.

2. Henry Carmona

Henry Carmona Screenwriter

Henry Carmona
    If musical or "full range" sound is important to you, id suggest getting the larger of the bunch and/or getting a good sub to help in the low range.
    ------------------
    [​IMG] "Charlie don't surf."

3. James Edward

James Edward Supporting Actor

If you can fit the 4T's in your room, they are the best of the ones you listed. All the others would require stands, and none has the bass response of the 4T's.
    The 4T's could be used for music without any subwoofer augmentation necessary.
    I think I've given you the obvious. Any of them are great in their respective price ranges, but performance wise, the 4T's are the way to go.
    I use them for fronts in my HT, and they have so far been unflappable. They take anything thrown at them and sing. I also own the 1B's and use them for the rears, but have not experimented with them as mains. They also work flawlessly in their assigned spot. I don't think PSB makes a bad speaker.

4. David Head

David Head Second Unit

I think James' reponse is right on if you don't plan on using a sub. If you do plan on using a sub, the choice isn't as clear. I preferred the sound of the 3LRs on stands with a sub over the 4Ts. I think it may have to do with the tweeter being about 35" from the ground on the 4Ts, which is lower than my ears in my listening position. The 3LRs on 20" stands were perfect for me. You can read my thoughts here . I don't think you'd go wrong with either the 3LRs or 4Ts for your mains, but the 1B or 2B might not be sufficient. I am using the 1Bs as surrounds and love them. If you haven't listened to the PSBs yet, you should audition them first and decide for yourself. The dealer in your area is:
    Atlantic Stereo
    445 East 17th Street
    Costa Mesa, CA 92627
    949-646-8895
    Good luck in your search!
    David

5. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

I'd go with towers because you have more flexibility with what frequency to cross over at. I was looking at using 4T's, an 8C and 1B's but then I listened to the 5T's. I liked those and so I listened to the 6T's. I bought 6T's, 9C and 2B's. I like the full sound and I listen to music without my sub sometimes.
    [Edited last by Chris PC on October 04, 2001 at 12:15 PM]

6. Kelly Scott Rickards

Kelly Scott Rickards Stunt Coordinator

I have a question:
    Which, in your opinon, of the PSB speakers would be closest in sound quality to these two speakers:
    Paradigm Studio 40s
    Paradigm Monitor 5s
    It seems like PSB speakers are cheaper overall and easier to buy online than Paradigm...
    I was just wondering if PSB makes speakers comparable to the Monitor 5s and the Studio 40s...
    [Edited last by Kelly Scott Rickards on October 04, 2001 at 01:56 PM]

7. David Head

David Head Second Unit

Kelly,
    I listed to the Paradigm Studio 40s and 60s when I was auditioning speakers. I think the PSB 3LR or 4T sound very similar to the 40s, while the 5T or 6T would probably be closer to the 60s. I didn't listen to any of the Paradigm Monitors, so I can't comment on those. I also found that I could get the PSB speakers for a lot less than the Paradigm unless I drove to Canada to purchase them...
    David

8. Bruce Abar

Bruce Abar Stunt Coordinator

9. Daniel Mai

Thanks for all your opinions so far. I've already listened to the 3LR by themselves, sounded very good. Then I was treated/recommended to a pair of 4Ts,8C center,10S rears,and Subsonic 5 as a HT demo and was very inpressed. But I'm having a tough time deciding whether to go smaller on the mains due to space limitations and a pair of 1B for rears instead of the 10S. Tough decisions. I wonder if the cost of the 10S bipole is worth it.

10. Daniel Mai

David,
    I'm leaning toward your directions since I feel the 3LRs w/sub would sound really good.
    Chris,
    I wished I had the space since I do believe bigger is better for speakers. I would love to get a pair of 6T or 7PT.
    PSB Image speakers just sounded unbelievably awesome for their price range. Had I known this a few years back, it would have been my choice.
    Thanks,
    Daniel

11. David Head

David Head Second Unit

Daniel,
    I think you'll really enjoy the setup. I actually think the 3LRs with a sub are better for home theater because they are identical to the 8C which creates a seemless soundstage. I'm not really a "bass-head" when it comes to music, so the 3LRs are great in my case. People that prefer their music with emphasized bass would be better off with one of the floor standing speakers.
    David

12. Daniel Mai

David,
    After I replied to your post, I had a chance to look at the link in your post,realized that I read that post a few weeks back, and that's what prompted me to audtition the PSBs. So I have you to thank for. They sure sound good don't they? and I'm not a bass head either.

13. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Definitely listen to some more PSB speakers. There is one very good reason to buy PSB over paradigm, in my opinion. As long as you have an amplifier that can handle the current load, PSB Image series will play much louder and cleaner. PSB's are around 6 ohms and have sensitivities ranging from 89 to 91 dB anechoic. Some paradigm speakers have a range of efficiencies between 87 and 90 dB and they are 8 ohm speakers. If you choose Paradigm speakers, unless you have gobbs of power, choose from the more effecient Paradigm models. Paradigm does in fact have some speakers with very high efficiency, like the monitor seires. Anyways, I find the 6 ohm and efficient PSB's increase an amplifiers effective wattage and put out more power per receiver 8 ohm watt rating, since power into 6 ohms is higher than into 8 ohms. I think thats a real VALUE, if you ask me. Especially with how smooth and uncoloured these speakers sound. I have listened to a few CD's now and I'm very impressed. Especially CD's with voices and bass. Very nice. I can't knock Paradigm speakers. They sound excellent. I did not do extensive comparing between the two brands. Here is how I started my speaker search:
    I went into a local audio store, Whitby Audio with the intention to buy (yes, I had already decided without listening, or so I thought) a pair of Alpha A/V's and then to later buy a subwoofer. I started by compared the PSB Alpha with the Paradigm Atom and I liked the Atom, but it was quite noticabley less efficient than the Alpha. I then compared the Paradigm Titan with the PSb 2B and I liked the 2B more. I didn't get any speakers that day, but I started to explore the PSB image line and I went from 2B's to 3 LR's, then I changed my decision to 4T's and then finally I decided it was either 5 or 6T's.
    A note about the space. If you want to talk about space, a tower takes up no extra space, unless you wanted to use a bookshelf. 3LR, 4T and 5 and 6T's take up only 8 inchs in width. 6T's are rather deep, but they are no deeper than the distance you should have them away from the wall anyways.
    Needless to say, I like these speakers. I think if you are worried about space, you should seriously look at what space you have and seriously consider getting either a) 3LR's for the fuller sound b) 4T's for even fuller sound or c) 5T's for full sound and the same efficiency as 3LR's
    Have fun listening. [​IMG]
    [Edited last by Chris PC on October 05, 2001 at 08:03 PM]

14. Daniel Mai

Chris,
    What receiver/amp are you using? I have Denon 3300 and I really like how it sound out my Polk Speakers. How do you think the PSBs will sound w/Denon?

15. David Head

David Head Second Unit

Daniel,
    That's great to hear! I'm glad I could help spread the word. I think they're an incredible value for the sound and love to hear when someone else feels the same way.
    Chris,
    I'm sure the 5T, 6T and 7T would only improve the experience. Have you listened to any of the Stratus series?
    David

16. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

I'm running a pair of PSB Stratus Silveri's for my front left&right main's, Stratus C6i center, and a pair of Image 10S's for my surround's.... all through a B&K 307... I LOVE these speakers! Incredible sound, great imaging & clarity.
    - Chip [​IMG]
    ------------------