1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Need help with proper screen selection

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Adam-DiVine, Jan 1, 2004.

1. Adam-DiVine

Adam-DiVine Auditioning

I am a new member and this is my first post. I am constructing a new home that will incluse a dedicated media room. The room is smallish (10'x15') with a cathedral ceiling (approx. 12' high). I have been doing a great deal of research and have found info. on everything I need except screen selection. I was wondering if anyone could give me some recommendations on what type of screen to go with (manufacturer, type, etc.). I am an avid DIYer and would also appreciate any info on home made screens that yield good results. I plan on using a sanyo plv-z2 as my video source and intend on projecting a rather small image (in the 50-60" range). Also, considering that I will have total light control in this room, could I go with a more inexpensive projector (say the plv-z1) and still achieve a good picture?

2. JohnnyMak

JohnnyMak Auditioning

Adam I have an older Zenith crt projector. The screen I used was a Da-Lite pull down screen. I made my own Screen backing and glued the screen to the backing. The size is about 60" X 80". For an older set-up the picture is pretty good. This screen can be ordered form a Da-Lite retailer for less than $200.

3. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

There are lots of DIY screen solutions, try the Screens forum.

4. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Im an idiot.

I need to change the colors of these forums, i get them confused. [​IMG]

AVS has a screen forum, not HTF. Anyway, you're welcome to read there there's TONS of info there for cheap DIY screens.

5. Christer W.

Christer W. Extra

I made a screen from 1x4"s and blackout cloth from Joannes's fabric store. Looked good and then I painted it gray. Total cost was under 40 bucks. Screen is 54" high and 95" wide. My wife was shocked over how big it was! With your Sanyo you will be amazed. I have a Panasonic PT-L200u, which is the little brother to the L300u and now the 500.

The screen took very little effort. Home Depot even cut the side and internal braces for me. A few screws, 4 "L" brackets, and some glue was all it took to put together the frame. Stapled on the blackout cloth pretty tightly. 3 hours altogether???

See: www.chriswhitworth.com/hometheater.htm .

If you like the DIY aspect, you will dazzle yourself with what you can put together for not a lot of dough.

6. Ian-Fl

Ian-Fl Second Unit

7. Adam-DiVine

Adam-DiVine Auditioning

Hey guys, thanks for the tips! I am going to check out the AVS forum.