Need Help with Pioneer CLD 1080 Laserdisc

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Benson R, Oct 1, 2001.

1. Benson R

Benson R Supporting Actor

I bought a used cld 1080 through what seemed like a reputable ebay dealer. The player was advertised as playing fine though it exhibits some strange things that I thought those with lasers might be able to explain to me so I know whats wrong. I have ten discs and only one will play both sides which is CB4. Star Wars THX will only play sides 1 and 3. My definitive collection Empire and Jedi will not play at all. The player displays the word laserdisc then play at first like it is starting up normal. But then it just says open and the disc will not play. Almost all the disc I have were bought new except for Jedi and Silence of the Lambs. Does anyone know what this is a symptom off? Any ideas at all?

2. Benson R

I forgot to mention that I tried to play a couple cds and all that happens when I push play is its says compact disc then says stop. I would also like to add that Timecop plays side 1 but not side two, Darkman plays side 2 but not side one, Reality Bites plays side 2 but not side one and the Paper does not play at all. So anyone who knows anything about laserdisc please reply. Thanks.

3. Michael Johnston

Michael Johnston Stunt Coordinator

I would try manually flipping some discs. This should tell you if the problem is with the player or the disc(s).
    Good luck.
    Michael
    ------------------

4. Benson R

The player is not double sided, but I seriously doubt it could be the discs as the problem is with so many discs some just removed from the original shrink rap.

5. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

I would guess that the drive motor is dying. Not reading CDs was the first symptom when the motor went on my CLD-D704. Cost to fix: $200.
    ------------------
    Philip Hamm
    Pat's the best!™
    AIM: PhilBiker
    click on the little green house to see the evolution of my home theater!

6. Benson R

As an experiment I tilted the player up a little when playing a disc and it displayed video. It just kept skipping forward and back for about 10 seconds at a time after I would tilt up then gently lay it back down. Does anyone know my rights as a customer through ebay. The item was advertised as "Works great! In excellent aesthetic condition. Plays Laser discs & compact discs. " It was NOT specified as being sold as is. This seller seems reasonable though he is slow to respond to email. He has a positive feedback of over 800 with only a few neutrals. If this is a 200 dollar repair job I don't think it would be worth it on a player purchased for under 100.

7. Michael Johnston

Michael Johnston Stunt Coordinator

I would definately ask for my money back! The worst the seller can say is no.
    Good luck.
    Michael
    ------------------

8. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    I'd try to get my money back. Get a newer player! The 1080 is either a 1989 or 1990 model. The player could have a very dirty laser lens or the motor could be shot as suggested by Phil. I would not buy a player older than the 1995 models, under most circumstances...? The CLD's : 604, 704, 59, 79, and 99 are good ones to look for. They and some lesser models are the class of '95. Good luck R!
    ------------------
    Rachael, the big disc cat! "...Mandrake, have you ever seen a commie drink water..."
    AFI Film Challenge, hey I've only got 1 to go!

9. Benson R

I would like to add that it is the same discs and sides that will play or will not play over and over again. I was wondering why certain disc including specific sides of the same disc would play and others would not.

10. Benson R

This seller has yet to reply to my emails. He was slow to get me a shipping quote when I won the auction but I would think if he was good seller he would be taking my complaints more seriously. Anyway my question is how long is too long for him to get back to me before I can start complaining to ebay?

11. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    I would allow three days. Best wishes, Rachael!
    ------------------
    Rachael, the big disc cat! "...Mandrake, have you ever seen a commie drink water..."
    AFI Film Challenge, hey I've only got 1 to go!