What's new

Need help with Panasonic DMR-E50 DVD Recorder (1 Viewer)

Mark McAlister

Stunt Coordinator
I just recently picked up the Panasonic DMR-E50 DVD recorder and recorded my first disc, then finalized the disc. I then watched it in the Panasonic to make sure it worked, which it played fine in the recorder.

My question is, when I put the DVD-R in my Pioneer DVL-909, it wouldn't play the disc. I also tried it in my Sony DVP-NS700P DVD player and it wouldn't play. Am I doing something wrong? Or will these players not play DVD-R's.

I am trying to put all of my VHS tapes on DVD, but if I can only watch them on the Panasonic, is it worth having it at all? I mean if something was to happen to the unit, then all of the dvds that I have recorded are pretty much useless. I wanted to touch base with you guys to make sure I was doing everything right before possibly returning the unit to Wal-Mart.

Ernest

Supporting Actor
I have over 200 movies recorded on DVD-R from my two DVD-R / RAM recorders and once finalized they play perfect on my JVC and Panasonic players. I have not experienced any problems with playback.

I never playback on the recorders. The recorders are to expensive for palyback. I would rather have to replace a $100.00 or less pro scan player than a $500.00 - $600.00 recorder.

Greg Hoffman

Auditioning
Memorex DVD-Rs are notorious for this sort of behavior. Try TDK, Maxell, Samsung BeALL; do a search on DVD-R.

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
what a coincidence. I have a E50 and DVL909. Although I dont use it as my primary DVD player, my DVL909 plays TDK, Memorex, and Leda/Princo DVD-Rs reliably well.

Mark McAlister

Stunt Coordinator
Do you have to format the disc in any sort of way before recording, ie;insert a menu or something. Like I said this is my first attempt at recording, the instruction manual is close to useless.

JeremySt, Could you run me through your proccess of recording from tape to dvd, as I may be missing something.

Mark McAlister

Stunt Coordinator
I wasn't giving the disc a title and what I thought was finalization was not, (at the end of recording, it gives you a message, 'Writing information', which I thought was the finalization proces, but found out later that it wasn't, so no wonder it wasn't working right. I was about to get ready and unplug it and take it back and i thought I would give it one more try.

There's one thing I still can't figure out. Once you give your disc a title, on the menu, is there any way to break it up into screen selections like on all of the movie dvds. In another words can you make the little screenshots in the menu that you can go straight to from the menu?

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
nope, all you can do is give text titles to individual title breaks, and name the disc.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks