Need help with Onkyo 787 ...

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Ed O'Neill, Nov 10, 2003.

1. Ed O'Neill

Ed O'Neill Second Unit

Here is my set up

ONKYO 787 for fronts center and surrounds
    ONKYO M-282 for rear 2 speakers

My problem is that my 4 back speakers don't seem to be loud enough and I am not sure where to make the adjutments.

Here are a few questions:
    1.Should I use the decibles higher than the fronts and center or should I adjust the speaker distance for the backs
    2. Is it louder if you make the distance closer or further away?(when using the speaker distance menu)

Any other suggestions that you might have are greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance
    Ed

2. adamKI

adamKI Stunt Coordinator

Adjust the speaker distance to match the actual distance that each speaker is from your main listening position. The distance setting does NOT affect volume - it will slightly delay (by miliseconds) the signal for a speaker that is closer to the listener than the others so that the sounds all match up when it gets to your ear.

What you need to adjust is the speaker level settings. You want all the speakers to have the same volume (they should sound the same, don't worry abut the numbers on the display). IIRC, you can adjust each individual speaker on the 787 using the "CH Sel" and Level +/- buttons on the remote. You'll get best results if you use an sound-level (SPL) meter. You can get one from Radio Shack.

A home theater setup/calibration DVD such as Digital Video Essentials or Avia will guide you through this process. You can also get more details in the HTF primer (the first post in the basics forum).

3. adamKI

adamKI Stunt Coordinator

4. Ed O'Neill

Ed O'Neill Second Unit

Thanks Adam,

I have it set up exactly how you said.

I don't understand why I have this problem but I will take your advice and read the primer page.I have read some other articles on the primer page but didn't realize there was one for this topic..Sorry about that

I plan on buying a disc and spl meter when I get some extras cash.

Thanks
    Ed

5. Brett DiMichele

Brett DiMichele Producer