Need help with OLD Sony CRT projector (model VPH - 600Q)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Robert Garcia, Dec 23, 2001.

1. Robert Garcia

Robert Garcia Auditioning

Hoping to get some advice on an old projector I inherited. It's a Sony VPH-600Q front projector. It's quite old since the manufacture date on it says July 1988. It seems to have BNC connectors with some choices such as H/Sync and V/Sync along with some R G B connections. How would I connect a DVD player with only 3 component outs to this unit which has the mentioned 5 connections? Am I missing something?

Any help would be great? Also who would service such an old unit? (color convergence etc.)

Thanks!

2. Michael Halse

Hi Robert, does the projector have any other inputs? The rgb hv bnc's were put on that projector for data input from a pc via an interface. If the projector has either s-video on composite inputs you are in luck or you will will need a converter to go from your dvd player to rgb hv. It is indeed an old projector, you might have trouble finding parts if needed however someone will ba able to install it i hope. Does it have a whole lot of small pots to adjust everything or is it digital convergence?

Michael

3. Robert Garcia

Robert Garcia Auditioning

Michael,

Thanks,it does a single video in input (also BNC)which I currently use to feed all video from my Denon receiver. But no S-Video inputs in this projector. I'm really interested in being able to use the component outs from the DVD player to this projector. What sort of converter are you talking about?

To perform convergence, it has all these (dials?) that must be adjusted individually. Looks complicated.

Robert

4. Dan Hine

Dan Hine Screenwriter

Robert,
    I believe this adapter will work. You would then need a vga breakout cable which I'm sure you could also get from Key digital. Should work out for you. Or, just spend $200 and put a DVDrom and digital sound card in your computer. [​IMG] Though I understand that may not be an option. Best of luck and Merry Christmas!
    Dan Hine

5. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

With a projector that old it is possible the RGB input only takes 480i, which is what broadcast studios have used in the past and some still do. The adapter mentioned above won't work if the projector expects a 480i RGB input.
    Other video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

6. Dan Hine

Dan Hine Screenwriter

Allan,

One of the "features" of that adapter says this:

7. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

Looked at the adapter description again (overlooked the part about the different kinds of inputs at first).

From the auto mode description, at face value, if you input 480i, you get out 480i which is exactly what a broadcast grade RGB video projector would want. But that contradicts the desciption to the left that says it will play into any VGA monitor. Many VGA monitors do not have the 720p and 1080i/540p speeds, rather computers use 1024p (1280 x 1024) and 768p (1024 x 768), some have 1024i and 768i as well. So only 480p sources, not 1080i HDTV boxes, are guaranteed to play into a VGA monitor (regular VGA is 480p) according to the auto mode description.

The description did not say anything about scaling, which would be needed to output a different scanrate/speed/resolution.