Need Help with Old Proscan DVD Player

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Eric.Simon, Jun 25, 2002.

1. Eric.Simon

Eric.Simon Auditioning

May 23, 2002
    Hi, I'm new to the forum and was hoping to get an opinion on a possible issue I'm having with my ancient DVD player. The player I have is a 3-4 year old Proscan (I got it for free, so I won't complain), which seems to be having issues with newer discs. While it plays movies well, it seems to lag a bunch when accessing menus. For example, on my American Pie 2 disc, I have to wait a noticable amount of time for my selection to appear. While I plan to upgrade my player soon, do you think this is symptomatic of a problem with the player, or just that maybe I need to clean it?

Also, since I am going to upgrade, I am looking for a recommendation for a quality, yet mid-grade dvd player. I definately do not need top of the line (I also have a 17yr old TV, what an HT setup, eh?), but don't want to purchase a player which will be a doorstop in 6mos.

Thanks for your help/comments.

2. Adam Barratt

Adam Barratt Cinematographer

Oct 16, 1998
    If it's still playing movies, it doesn't sound like it's about to keel over on you quite yet. Having the player's laser mechanism cleaned might improve navigation times if it's completely packed with gunk, but I wouldn't count on it.
    There are any number of quality mid-grade players available from Sony, Pioneer, Panasonic etc. However, if your player is still working you might well see more benefit by upgrading your TV: especially as your current TV probably lacks an S-Video input, and certainly doesn't have component video inputs.
    By the way, welcome to the forum! [​IMG]
  3. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Jan 23, 1999
    Go to a local shop like Circuit City and see if the modern DVD players access menus any faster than your ProScan. I doubt that they will. I have a ProScan myself and it's a fine player; no need to upgrade unless you're looking for more/different capabilities.