What's new
World Wide Stereo

Need help with my Projector (1 Viewer)

crossram

Auditioning
Real Name
David Cockrum
I just dug my Dreamvision DL500 projector out of the closet a (long story) and I'm not quite sure what I need to do to get it working with my newer HT setup.

I have a Toshiba A35 HD DVD player, an Oppo 980H CD/DVD player and an Onkyo PR-SC885P (same as Integra 9.8), all passing HDMI with HDCP. My old Dreamvision DL500 projector does XGA (1024X768) resolution via a DVI connection.

Back in the day before HDMI existed or DVI was available in source devices (DVD players) the Dreamvision with DVI was way ahead of its time so it came with a cable assembly that converted VGA (RBG) from a source to the DVI input into the projector. I used a scaler back then to convert whatever resolution (480p or whatever) to the native XGA 1024 X 768 resolution of the projector. This scaler sent the signal out through a VGA connector and the included cable converted it to DVI for the projector.

Now, nothing has VGA outputs (good) but eveything has HDCP (bad). I am not sure how to get the HDMI signal from my new stuff to the DVI input of the projector so the HDCP copy protection will pass the 720p signal to the Dreamvision.

Could I:

1) Just use a HDMI to DVI converter cable from HDMI source to projector's DVI input (Cheapest and cleanest, but I suspect that this will not work because of HDCP)?

2) Use a device such as the HDFury DVI to VGA converter adapter with a HDMI to DVI converter cable (This is affordable but not best because I would be using a HDMI to DVI cable from HDMI source to HDFury DVI input and then the VGA to DVI cable from HDFury to projector - too many conversions) ?

3) Use the newer HDFury2 HDMI to VGA converter adapter with the VGA to DVI cable to the projector (Most expensive but least conversions I have found so far)?

Obviously, what I really need is to find a cable or device that will convert HDMI to DVI with HDCP directly from the HDMI source to the projector's DVI input. Does anyone know of such a product?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

mightymach

Auditioning
Real Name
Jeff
I am not sure if this is an option of if it would work...but maybe you could use a converter instead of the cable? DVI Female to HDMI Male adapter by Key Digital

I am kind of in the same boat as you. I have an old Mitsubishi SA51 I am going to use for my bedroom and I need to use a VGA to an RGB. However, I was thinking the same thing as you...why couldn't I use a VGA to an HDMI? Could that work? The manual does not mention it...but then again, I do not believe HDMI was around when the manual was printed...

Needless to say, this is the route I have to go unless someone can help me out too...
VGA 15 Pin Female to 5 BNC Plug RGBHV Pigtail Cable

SherardP

Stunt Coordinator
or you could, wait for it.............................................buy a new 1080p projector and be done with it. The prices of 1080/720p projectors are very good now, Sony HW10, Panny 2000/3000U, Sanyo, Epson 720/1080/1080UB, all great projectors for excellent prices.

mightymach

Auditioning
Real Name
Jeff
You're right! We could! And instead of driving to the store when you were complaining about gas prices 6 months ago you could have grown your own food at home, right?

Way to step over dollars to pick up dimes, guy. I've got something that is 720p compatible and if he does as well...we're going to use it.

Since you do not know what's going on, I'll fill you in on what I have. I have a Mitsu 4900 that I use for my Blu Ray DVD in the living room and as soon as I start planning a HT, it will be moved there. I would like to use the SA51 for my bedroom for dvd's or HD cable since HD cable cannot be broadcast over 720p I would be wasting my money on another 1080 projector.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dead2009
Recent bookmarks
SVS Outlet Sale