Need help with my new Velodyne CHT-10.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Art Simon, Mar 9, 2003.

1. Art Simon

Art Simon Extra

I just picked it up yesterday from Circuit City for $279 open box with a 5 year warranty. I didn't get a manual and I have a few questions with the setting:

1)Where do I adjust the low-pass crossover to?(120-40hz)
    2)Should I use the internal crossover or direct?
    3)Where should the phase be 0-180*?
    4)It has 2 inputs and I'm running a single cable from the sub out (receiver) to one of the sub inputs. Do I need to get a Y and connect them both?

Thanks....Art

2. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

Hi Art,______________________________________________ _____

1- Doesn't matter for you will be defeating this by letting your receiver do the cross. Turn to full to be safe._____________________________________________ ________

2- Refer to answer 1._____________________________________

3- Test with meeter and see what puts out the most but not at the cost of performance and sound. If you have no meter or calibration disk then do the best you can by ear. You might not here any difference at all in short.__________

4- No. Velodyne amps are fairly sensitive and the Auto option on the back of your plate amp works well generally with out a Y. If you have one go ahead and use if you like. With a Y you will not need to turn gain up as far on your sub to get you to the same level of output. Actually Velodyne does recommend using the Y in there manual if I recall correctly. My personal preference thus far is to Use the Y.

3. Michael Roderiques

Michael Roderiques Stunt Coordinator

On your set up of the unit.

I would recommend that you try to place it up on the front wall. I think you will get the best overall performance from that location.

Here is a sort of backwards trick you can use to help find the best location for your sub.

Place the sub as close to the listening position as you can. Take a CD player, regular or portable and connect it to the line in on the sub. Set the sub volume on the 4th dot and play a bass heavy CD. Walk around the room. The place where you hear the best clean clear solid bass is a good starting point for locating your sub. It will need some tuning once you get it in place, but this will get you close to start.

Install and calibration. I would recommend that you get an SPL meter. It will help you so much that you will be surprised at what your system will sound like after dialing it in with an SPL meter.

On the interconnection cable. Use a single cable fro your receiver to the subs location, then a short “Y” adapter to both left and right INPUTS on the sub.

Once you get the unit into the place you will use it, power and signal feed to the sub, you will need to go to your owners manual for your receiver or processor and follow the instructions for installing and setting up for use with a subwoofer. It is quite easy to do.

On the CHT series you should find the following controls.
    Volume (some call gain) Dots mark level
    Phase Switch for “0” or “180”, an adjustable knob for CHT-15
    2 Power switches on some, a main near the cord, a second near the volume, marked AUTO and ON.
    A crossover, it may say Xover in or internal and direct.
    On the CHT-15 an additional switch marked audio/video. A boos for old films with low bass output. Not recommended for normal use.

Set the volume control about 4th dot to start.
    Set the phase to “0”
    Set the switches to Power to “auto” the unit will turn on when you use your system
    Set the Audio/Video switch to “audio” Only use video if a movie has low bass output
    Set the Crossover to “out” or “direct” depends on what your markings are.

The recommended procedure for setting up a Velodyne sub is to place the “volume” control to a starting point. Say the 4th dot. On most Velodyne the optimum working range is from the 3rd to 5th dot, you can go lower, but you don’t want to go higher.

Have your source set to its mid point, most systems this is “0”

With a test tone AND some form of other audio, take reading from an SPL meter.

If the measured out put is significantly higher, adjust the SUB gain down ½ a dot and re-test. It is the other way, move the gain up ½ dot. Do this a ½ dot at a time until you get close.

When you are close to the reference you are looking for, make the final adjustments with your processor output. Ideal would be to have no more than a working range of 0 to +2 on the source and 3 ½ to 4 on the sub. If this range is not cast in stone. It is the best starting point and for most the optimum working range. I have seen units down as low as 2 dots.

To eliminate some problems with the auto on functions, try to never go into a negative number on the source, if you have to think about going this way, bring the sub down first. Try not to have the subs “volume” below 1 ½ dots.

4. Art Simon

Art Simon Extra

Michael, thank you so much for the valuable information [​IMG]

Now I'm wondering if I should return my 10" sub and get a 12"? I have 30 days to decide, and they have a couple
    CHT-12 floor models also. decisions, decisions........

5. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

Get the 12.....[​IMG]

6. Art Simon

Art Simon Extra

Well my room is kind of small and the 10 seems to work good. But I guess I could get the 12 and just turn it down a little if needed. I don't want it to be boomy. I like the tight bass of the 10. But a lot of members on the board recommended the 12.
    I've only had it a few days and I'm already thinking of upgrading [​IMG] Is Home Theater a sickness? LOL