What's new

need help with my new Sony Blu-Ray player (1 Viewer)

robbbb1138

Second Unit
Real Name
Robb
I just purchased a BDP-BX57 to replace my BDP-BX1. Everything works fine, except that I can't get the video at 1080/24p, only 1080/60p. I've set the 24 fps to "auto" in my settings, which means that it should be picking up that my TV can handle this, but it's not. My BDP-BX1 never had this problem, so I'm sure it's not the TV. Has anyone else experienced this kind of problem with a Sony player and found a solution? Thanks in advance for any help!

elwaylite

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jason
Are you sure you tv can take 1080p/24?

Also, can you force 24p, by moving it from auto to ON?

robbbb1138

Second Unit
Real Name
Robb
Originally Posted by elwaylite

Are you sure you tv can take 1080p/24?

Also, can you force 24p, by moving it from auto to ON?

I know it can take 1080p/24, both from what I see online about the TV and my personal experience in 2 years with my old BR player. I can't force it to 24 fps though using an "on" button, because my only options are "auto" and "off".

elwaylite

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jason
Ah, no force.

I've seen issues where the tv and the player don't talk well via the HDMI connection, and the player thinks it can't handle 24p. Seen this with Sony tv's and PS3's, which is weird.

Do you have a rcvr with an HDMI switch that you could run through? Only other thing I can think it to report it to Sony and hopefully they'll get it in a FW fix.

robbbb1138

Second Unit
Real Name
Robb

Ah, no force.

I've seen issues where the tv and the player don't talk well via the HDMI connection, and the player thinks it can't handle 24p. Seen this with Sony tv's and PS3's, which is weird.

Do you have a rcvr with an HDMI switch that you could run through? Only other thing I can think it to report it to Sony and hopefully they'll get it in a FW fix.

I guess it's down to that. If my TV wasn't compatible and I was forcing it on the my old BR player, would I still have gotten an image? Maybe my TV isn't compatible afterall (it didn't make a big difference).

elwaylite

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jason
No, you would have not.

Some tv's can accept a 24p input, but they then perform 2:3 pulldown, which is no different really from the player doing it, and sending it out non 24p to the tv. If you did not notice a more smooth, judder free presentation, then it could be that your tv accepts 24p, but then performs 2:3 pulldown on it.

robbbb1138

Second Unit
Real Name
Robb

No, you would have not.

Some tv's can accept a 24p input, but they then perform 2:3 pulldown, which is no different really from the player doing it, and sending it out non 24p to the tv. If you did not notice a more smooth, judder free presentation, then it could be that your tv accepts 24p, but then performs 2:3 pulldown on it.

I know it does a 2:3 pulldown. I'm the type of person that doesn't see a problem with some things until someone tells me there's a problem and then I can't not see it, so it's possible it never made any difference at all. If it's doing 2:3 pulldown, would I not see a real difference betwen 24p and 60p?

elwaylite

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jason
Most people are used to judder, because we've seen it for a long time, so probably no. You be more liable to notice if you had a new tv that properly handled film, or used some of the LCD smoothing options. Those really stand out to me.

robbbb1138

Second Unit
Real Name
Robb

Most people are used to judder, because we've seen it for a long time, so probably no. You be more liable to notice if you had a new tv that properly handled film, or used some of the LCD smoothing options. Those really stand out to me.

Okay. I won't worry about it then. My TV doesn't have any of the smoothing options, but I thought the 24p function was something that might have made the image more film-like in a way that I just wasn't able to perceive.

elwaylite

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jason
If you tv properly handles 24p, it does look a little smoother. If you tv does not, there really is not a difference between the player doing 2:3, or you sending 24p out of the player to the tv, and it doing 2:3. You'll have some judder both ways.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks