What's new

Need help with my new home theater (1 Viewer)

ssayet

Auditioning
Real Name
Steven Sayet
I want to thank you in advanced so here is my setup:

LG 52" plasma

5.1 Infinity tss-500 speakers

Yamaha RX-V663 receiver

Ps3

iPod doc

Dish network dvr receiver

No for my questions i have everything wired correctly positives negatives etc... I have my ps3 and my dish network HDMI'd to my yamaha and my ipod doc has the red and white into it.... I have a HDMI going to my tv....

Now for my questions I have so many different "settings as far as enhanced, 7.1, gaming, music, straight, straight enhanced etc.

I was playing the new batman and it all sounded good i changed the out put on the movie to "HD Audio" but i dont see an icon light up on my receiver?

When watching regular tv(Dish) what should i have the preset on i wanna have the best quality, and i want it to be the same preset for when i watch hd channels etc.

Any and all recommendations would be great

JamDawg

Grip
Real Name
JamesD
The receiver will select the setting for you. It will detect the signal being sent and use that format for the sound output. The HD Audio icon will light up when it detects a HD signal only.

I'm assuming it's a Blue Ray movie and you are sending it via HDMI from the PS3? If that is the case the PS3 is decoding the HD signal and sending it via LPCM. This signal should show up on your receiver as PCM or Multichannel. Although it does not say HD it is playing HD. The only way for the HD light to turn on would be to send the audio via bitstream and let the receiver decode the signal. The problem is the PS3 cannot send bitstream. This is a hardware issue not a software issue so it will not be corrected in the future. That is what I understand but I could be wrong. Make sure you have your PS3 set up to send the correct signal. There are discussions about this online. I asked Onkyo and they send me a sheet with step by step instructions on how to adjust the PS3’s setting to be the best results.

ssayet

Auditioning
Real Name
Steven Sayet
so any ideas on how I need to adjust my PS3 or receiver? Also for some reason my center speaker does not seem to be working... It shows up on the receiver that its connected.. and i made sure it was alll connected correctly!

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
How did you set the individual speaker levels in the receiver? Did your receiver come with a mic and an auto calibration system? Or did you do like most of us and use a calibration DVD and an SPL meter?

-Robert

JamDawg

Grip
Real Name
JamesD
I’ve lost document Onkyo sent me. I'll look at my PS3 and report back. If I'm correct, under the audio output formats you will need to select all of the linear PCM options. Some might be transparent and you'll not be able to select them (this is normal). Do not select Dolby, DTS or ACC, if it does not say Linear in front, do not select it. This way the signals are decoded by the PS3. The receiver will read the incoming PCM signal and send the sound were it needs to go. You will never see the HD or MA light because it only sees a multichannel signal but it will be HD/MA.

Also under Video Settings make sure the BD/DVD Audio Output Format (HDMI) is set on Linear PCM

If you hear nothing coming from your center I would guess the receiver is busted or there’s a problem with the center. Even if your levels were set low it would just be quite not silent. Have you attached the center to one of the fronts to see if it even works?

ssayet

Auditioning
Real Name
Steven Sayet
It came with a mic... I changed the center channel to one of the fronts and it worked so its not the speakers its the receiver!! Also the surround right seems to not always work u hear some kind of noise but no music or sound u hear like a light static.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
It depends on the incoming signal. Stereo music shouldn't be played through the surround speakers. Do all the speakers make noise when you play the calibration tones?

-Robert

ssayet

Auditioning
Real Name
Steven Sayet
I think its the receiver i already packed it up to bring it back to have them check it... hmm i guess we will see the center definitely was not working

ssayet

Auditioning
Real Name
Steven Sayet
SO I brought back the receiver and got a new one and its working fine
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif
now for the tweaking... How should i have all my presets for my ps3... Dishnetwork... and Ipod

Right now i have everything on Straight and the ipod on 7.1 channel so i can hear it out of all the speakers.

JamDawg

Grip
Real Name
JamesD
Have you tried out the setting I described earlier? Sorry, I have not confirmed them but I belive they are the correct settings. Posted again below.

If I'm correct, under the audio output formats you will need to select all of the linear PCM options. Some might be transparent and you'll not be able to select them (this is normal). Do not select Dolby, DTS or ACC, if it does not say Linear in front, do not select it. This way the signals are decoded by the PS3. The receiver will read the incoming PCM signal and send the sound were it needs to go. You will never see the HD or MA light because it only sees a multichannel signal but it will be in HD/MA.

Also under Video Settings make sure the BD/DVD Audio Output Format (HDMI) is set on Linear PCM

JamDawg

Grip
Real Name
JamesD
As far as dishnetwork goes, just plug in the HDMI. The receiver will change settings when the TV signals changes codec. You will see the receiver change all the time. Some commercials are 5.1 and some stereo some shows are 5.1 and others not. If you are watching a movie and it is in 5.1 you could select a different setting on the receiver to force it into 7.1. I just let the receiver do its thing.

I have no idea about the iPod. I don't own one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
S205449
Recent bookmarks