Need Help with my JBL PB10 sub

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by KevinSch, May 21, 2005.

1. KevinSch

KevinSch Auditioning

I have the JBL entry level pb10 subwoofer hooked up to an onkyo txsr601 receiver.I get relatively little to no bass out of my front speakers and i was wondering if this is because i have the sub hooked up using the speaker wire instead of an rca cable. My fronts are klh 12 inchers which i know aren't great but on my old pioneer stereo receiver the bass output is pretty good.

2. Matt Lagana

Matt Lagana Extra

Set the fronts to large....Use the LFE out on the reciever. Be sure to set subwoofer to "yes"

3. James Edward

James Edward Supporting Actor

If you are going to just use speaker wire, then yes, set the fronts to 'Large'. But, in this case, set
    'Subwoofer'= NO.
    This way, the bass goes to the sub via the L/R speaker wire.

If you run speaker wire directly to the fronts, and an RCA cable to the sub, set 'Subwoofer'= Yes, and the front speakers to small.

4. Matt Lagana

Matt Lagana Extra

He wants more bass out of his fronts. Setting them to small will not achieve this....

Matt

5. James Edward

James Edward Supporting Actor

OOPS. I'll need to retake reading comprehension...

6. KevinSch

KevinSch Auditioning

so now that we understand the question does anybody have any ideas on what to do

7. Mark Dill

Mark Dill Stunt Coordinator

I think that when you hook up your sub using the speaker cables, the sub's crossover redirects all the bass to the the sub. So it doesn't matter whether your receiver's speaker settings are set to large or small, you're not going to get bass out of your mains with this hookup. (For this kind of hookup, your receiver should have subwoofer set to NONE, as James mentioned)

If you want bass out of your mains AND the sub, you need to hook it up with an RCA cable, set your subwoofer setting to YES and then make sure your fronts are set to LARGE.

8. GregLee

GregLee Stunt Coordinator

After you've figured out how to get bass from both sub and fronts, you'll want to consider going back to the setup where all low bass goes to the sub only. Prevailing opinion is that gives you the best sound. The fronts will play with less distortion if they aren't called on for bass, and with bass coming from both fronts and sub, there's a good prospect of cancellation at some frequencies, when the two bass signals interfere.

9. John S

John S Producer

Great point GregLee....

I will only add, if you still want to use as much bass from your fronts / well all your sats even. Set the cross at 60hz if your system allows it.

Lots of good bass at 60hz still.

10. Legairre

Legairre Supporting Actor

When running off the subs high pass inputs and outputs you need to set things up in the following way:

1.) In the receiver setup menu set speakers to "large".
    This will allow a full range signal to reach your speakers.
    2.) Then you need to run the speaker wire for the front L/R speakers FROM the receiver to the subs L/R "HIGH LEVEL INPUTS".
    3.) Then run another set of speaker wires from the subs "HIGH LEVEL OUTPUTS" to the the front L/R speakers.
    4.) Set the subs crossover to whatever sounds best to you, say 60hz.
    5.) Set the subs LFE/Normal switch to "normal"

Since your receiver is set to "large" it won't matter what the receiver's crossover is set to because a setting of "large" in this configuration will mean the sub is getting a full range signal, because you ran the wires from the receiver to the sub first. By then running the wires from the sub to the speakers you use the subs crossover to determine how much of the signal stays in the sub and what part gets sent to the speakers.

For instance if the subs crossover is set to 60hz everything from below 60hz will be played by the sub and anything above 60hz will be played by the speakers.

Now if you want bass from both the front L/R speakers and the subs you should follow Mark Dill's instructions. With Mark's instructions you'll get LFE from the sub and a full range signal to the front L/R speakers, but if your speakers aren't capable of handling afull range signal you could damage them because they will get a full signal.

11. KevinSch

KevinSch Auditioning

I have another quick question about hooking up my sub with an RCA cable. It has left and right RCA inputs, my receiver only has one output for subwoofers and I wanted to know if I should get a Y adapter or just use one input?

Thanks

12. Legairre

Legairre Supporting Actor

With this sub make sure you only run a single cable from the receiver's sub out to get LFE ONLY out of the sub. The LFE/Normal switch should be used differently depending on the receiver.

If you use the L/R then the sub thinks you have a prologic ONLY receiver(the old days when they were common before DD/DTS only receivers) and the LFE/Normal switch should be set to "Normal" because prologic did not have a .1 channel and the sub handles the crossover. "Normal" means use subs crossover.

Now with a DD/DTS receiver you only want to connect a single cable to either the L or R LFE input. This tells the sub that you have a DD/DTS receiver. You can hook up to either the L or R LFE input and set the LFE/Normal switch in the "LFE" position. "LFE" setting means use receivers crossosver.

If you look on the back of the sub under the L/R input you'll see the words "For LFE use L or R"