1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Need help with Multi-Room setup...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Leroy, Oct 4, 2001.

1. Leroy

Leroy Second Unit

A friend of mine wants to set up a home theater in his new home and wants to be able set up listen/control audio in 5 rooms(not inclusing the main home theater setup).
    I need some recomendations and advice on how this would be set-up. The house is being built so wiring is not a problem, the builder will run the wire in the walls/ceilings. We just need to know what we'll need to accomplish this.
    Thanks

2. Grant B

Grant B Producer

You need to run the wire from the set up to a Double electrical box. Besides speaker wire run cat 5 wire so you can hook up an IR target. then from the box run wire to where the speaker will be mounted. a volume control will connect the two runs of speaker wire
    He needs to figure out if he wants the same source playing everywhere or if he wants it indepentant of the main system
    ------------------
    Why?
    Why do you keep hounding me and harassing me and hounding me?
    It's not like I don't have anything better to do, you know.
    It's not like the Phantom Cruiser is going to wax itself.
    It's not like last night's burrito stain will just up and remove itself from my cape.
    I am a superhero!
    A very very busy superhero! Who does...things!
    Now get out of here before I tell your mother.
    AND DON'T TRAMPLE MY BEGONIAS!
    -Space Ghost..

3. Leroy

Leroy Second Unit

I think maybe 2 sources would be enough, as it will only be Him and his wife. I was looking at recommending a Denon unit, with multi-zone capabilities. They also have IR remote sensors and many other accesories for multi-zone set-ups. But they really only describe a 2 room set-up.
    Would he need to wire it any differently to switch between sources(is that possible?), I've never dealt with this type of set-up.

4. CoryT

CoryT Auditioning

Russound A-Bus is the best system to go with, it is inexpensive and it works.

5. Grant B

Grant B Producer

I have a sony es preamp so I don't know specifics about the Denon.
    Usually they have a L & R output for the 2nd room set up. Run that into a audio distribution unit ( 1 in 4 out)
    Run the outputs to amplifier(s).
    6 channels amps are easy to find....so 2 of those (you can generally bridge channels if you have an extra pair)
    Each stereo pair would run to a volume control in the room and then on to the speakers
    ------------------
    Why?
    Why do you keep hounding me and harassing me and hounding me?
    It's not like I don't have anything better to do, you know.
    It's not like the Phantom Cruiser is going to wax itself.
    It's not like last night's burrito stain will just up and remove itself from my cape.
    I am a superhero!
    A very very busy superhero! Who does...things!
    Now get out of here before I tell your mother.
    AND DON'T TRAMPLE MY BEGONIAS!
    -Space Ghost..

6. Anthony Lobo

Anthony Lobo Agent

Hi Leroy,
    You will need to run 16/4 speaker wire and Cat5E all of which must be fire rated to each volume control/keypad.
    You may want to check out Integra's new line of receivers since they incorporate Russsound's A-Bus system in their DTR 8.2 receivers.
    Anthony

7. Leroy

Leroy Second Unit

Thanks for the help guys. Any other advice would be helpful. He's got a couple of month's before he needs the gear, but he and I want to be ready.
    I do have another question though. In general, can you swith from one source to another in each room, for Instance can you listen to say a CD in the living room and bedroom, and the radio a second bedroom?
    [Edited last by Leroy on October 04, 2001 at 12:10 PM]

8. Grant B

Grant B Producer

generally most have the ability to be different than the main set up.
    completely indepentant switching capabilities go up a notch in complexity and price