need help with movie title - British about construction??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Karen Maraj, Jul 31, 2002.

1. Karen Maraj

Karen Maraj Agent

I saw this movie several years ago. I believe it was British, and it was about some construction workers. The accent was very thick, and when I rented it from the video store, the VHS had English subtitles! There was a lot of swearing, (none of it carried through to the subtitles though!!) and I think it was funny. Any idea??

2. Bill McA

Bill McA Producer

Sounds like Riff-Raff, starring Robert Carlyle.

3. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

I was going to say, "It would have to have Robert Carlyle in it..." Man I can't understand that guy [​IMG]

4. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

I’m reminded of I'm All Right, Jack, about unions in Britain in the 50s. And no, its not serious, what with Peter Sellers, Terry Thomas, and Margaret Rutherford in the cast. It’s been a long time and I can’t recall a lot of swearing, but there may well have been. I checked Amazon and it is not available on DVD, though it is on VHS.

Title is a catch phrase in vogue at the time (and still in occasional use in the Empire), meaning, (more or less) “I’ve already got mine and don’t need to put in too much effort”.

Even if this is not the title you are after, this is well worth a watch. Very funny, if black.

5. John Watson

John Watson Screenwriter

Not sure of the movie with the subtitles, but the possible good news is that there is a Peter Sellers Collection listed on Anchor Bays 2003 prgram fro DVD release, if "I'm Alright Jack" is in it, would be very worthwhile!